• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Search for Good Mic Preamps

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all,

Created this thread to find mic preamps that will be good enough (and hopefully not too pricey) to match the Cosmos ADC's level of performance. How are the preamps below? I'm new to this but they appealed to me after a day of searching and shortlisting. Curious about any other suggestions too!

Cheap but questionable:

Costlier options:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
It mostly depends what you intend to do.
What's your use case ?
How flexible, polyvalent and road-ready does it have to be ?
Do you need mobile or studio solution ?
Do you plan to rather use ribbon or large diaphragm condenser microphones ?
What's your budget ?

Answer may be anything from a Mackie 802 VLZ4 to a Millennia-audio HV-316/16

OP
P

phoenixsong

Hi
It mostly depends what you intend to do.
What's your use case ?
How flexible, polyvalent and road-ready does it have to be ?
Do you need mobile or studio solution ?
Do you plan to rather use ribbon or large diaphragm condenser microphones ?
What's your budget ?

Answer may be anything from a Mackie 802 VLZ4 to a Millennia-audio HV-316/16
Planning to use it with large diaphragm condenser and dynamic mics. It's more of a home-based studio solution, so doesn't have to be road-ready or rack-incorporable pretty much. Don't need any particular functions either, focus is purely on transparency but gain adjustment and phantom power are nice bonuses

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Transparency or SOTA specs?

Anything from RME, even Focusrite and Motu should be audibly transparent.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which is great, but I am thinking about getting RME UCXII for its digital inputs and nice aesthetic.

OP
P

phoenixsong

Transparency or SOTA specs?

Anything from RME, even Focusrite and Motu should be audibly transparent.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which is great, but I am thinking about getting RME UCXII for its digital inputs and nice aesthetic.
Good point. Probably beyond transparency since I like to have a slight buffer for anything that might degrade the signal downstream *(using a Motu M2 now, would like to hear what the absolute sounds like in comparison)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll have a serious handicap if you want to use an analog preamp with the E1DA cosmos ADC: the basic range is limited to 10V (22dBu)

As an example, the very best analog preamps (like the Millennia HV-3C that I own or the Grace design you listed above) are able to push 27dBu or more with distortion remaing very low (<-96dB)

So, using a 10V input, you'd de facto limit seriously the dynamic range by 5dB or more.

I'm sure you'd get better results from an integrated interface (RME, Motu, Focusrite and the likes)

If you want to get started quickly and for cheap, you may have a look at the Mackie 802VLZ4.
Preamps are correct, but you'd want to get the output from the Insert jack (with a 1/4" TS) to the ADC, to bypass the noisy EQ and mixer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom