• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scratched records fix?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are my findings.
- Severely scratched records goes to the bin.
- Minor scratched records gets "fixed" by using real-time click-repair

But what about other possible "fixes" (found on the internet):
- Using toothpick or cactus spines and microscope to even out the scratch - these are too large to fit into the groove where the damage is done.
- Using a DJ stylus at 4-5 g VTF and by using the DJ scratch method, moving the stylus back and forth over the scratch to even it out. Anyone tried that?
- Using fine sandpaper like 2500 to 10 000. Only removes surface scratches that usually are not causing any problems. Sanding deeper might fix it - anyone tried that?

JP

Major Contributor
I tried the toothpick thing once. No bueno.

deweydm

I just rely on an older Parks Audio Puffin Phono DSP's magic function, and it's super mono feature with mono records, which is very good. Though there's a newer model now, the Waxwing. Too much crackle and pop even with these features, and I get rid of the record. Not super picky, but I don't want to feel like I'm listening next to a roaring fireplace either. ;)

Barrelhouse Solly

The only thing that's ever worked for me is audio restoration software and ripping to FLAC. I've been using DCart stuff for a long time. They have an active forum where you can get help from the authors of the software.

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will look deeper into the sanding method with some scratchy test record, even if you will get that different vinyl shine around the scratch point. It will require sanding down below the point of the indentation of the groove walls. Just to see if it is possible to get anything out of it.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is the only physical fix I know of that has a chance of working:

The old CoolEdit program (now sold as Adobe Audition) has excellent dehiss, denoise and declick functions for fixing recordings from damaged records.

JSmith

Master Contributor
That guy is keen... usually one uses wood glue on the scratched part only, as in a thin line. That must be one scratched record... :p

JSmith

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The old CoolEdit program (now sold as Adobe Audition) has excellent dehiss, denoise and declick functions for fixing recordings from damaged records.
But that will only remove dirt...?

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cannot see how sanding can do anything else than damage..
Sanding is doing damage, it is locally reducing the depth of the groove. What has not been conclusive is if the sanding also can remove the intendation caused by the scratch, and thereby remove it.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes. I don't know of any way to 'repair' a record groove. That doesn't mean none exists though.

I could imagine a laser annealing process to do it, but that is just conceptual.

Reactions: MCH

JSmith

Master Contributor
No, it can repair a scratch... sometimes, by the wood glue filling in the scratch making a smooth surface for the stylus to pass over. When the glue is taken off, it can take the raised edges of the scratch with it, leaving the record playable. The toothpick method can also be successful for minor scratches.

JSmith

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it can repair a scratch... sometimes, by the wood glue filling in the scratch making a smooth surface for the stylus to pass over. When the glue is taken off, it can take the raised edges of the scratch with it, leaving the record playable. The toothpick method can also be successful for minor scratches.

JSmith
Hm. Such removal of glue would be rather low force. Doing the DJ scratch with conical stylus at 4-5 gram would probably be of higher force. I wonder if anyone here could do the experiment of trashed record. I mighr get an OM type of DJ stylus to test.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

JSmith

I'd hit it gently with a rework/heat gun. Just enough to soften the vinyl and let it 'reform' back to its original shape. I do that often with plastic mouldings, clips and other poly pieces that become deformed. It's a fine line to tread, but incredibly useful to save things if you're careful.

Disc-claimer (pun) I've not tried it with a vinyl record, but I would.

AaronJ

I use the toothpick to smooth out skips from a damaged groove, but once the vinyl is damaged there is no getting rid of the click.

Once the loose vinyl has been cleared away it’s possible that a fine line stylus will get deep enough into the groove to get past (or mostly past) the part that will make it click. But there are other drawbacks to exotic stylii that have driven me toward spherical Denon carts.

Eventually I learn to live with clicks as if they are part of the song, like all the drop-outs on Opeth’s original Still Life.

MCH

Major Contributor
There are many types of scratches, some might be repairable, some might not. But:

By definition a scratch is not related to dirt. Maybe you have both scratches and dirt, and cleaning or the glue method can help, but neither cleaning nor any glue is going to repair a scratch.

Regarding minimising the effect of the scratch with DSP, all is fine if it doesn't skip. The biggest and most annoying problem is when it does, and there is no DSP that can fix that.

I am curious about the DJ method, let's see if someone has tried it successfully

Top Bottom