• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Skoll: New Balanced Phono Preamp

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
40 years ago I would have been VERY interested! And the price seems reasonable for what you get.

...In the real world, I don't think a balanced phono connection really helps with anything. A phono cartridge is "balanced" and I don't think grounding one side of the coil connections hurts anything (you shouldn't get ground loops there). And a balanced connection won't eliminate hum pick-up by the coil.

The balanced outputs could help with some nose & ground loop problems with that connection.

AaronJ

Performance seems fine. If I'm reading correctly it clips around 80mV for MM carts which is decent. Won't perform better than any other competently designed phono stage in the class - you're paying for all the additional architecture to allow you to tweak from the listening position. There is certainly value there. Not having any loading option between 150 and 47k ohms is a shame, and really wish the PS was built in for $50 to $100 more.

Top Bottom