• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi Multibit - No Love?

bilzebubba

What do you mean by this exactly? :D

I mean on those older (ca 2009) Dacs, there is an audible/annoying "pop" if you turn them on after the amplifier, whereas on the Modi Multibit (as on my D30 and my Cambridge and Nad Dac/Amps, there is only blessed silence!

gvl

Major Contributor
So my question is, just how bad is it, for those who've compared it in blind listening (if anyone).

It's not too bad subjectivity for things like streaming and otherwise not hires. I found its sound a bit flat and while detailed not very 3d as compared to some others and a bit tiring to listen to. Not a blind test, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not knowing about the MultiBit's, er, "pedigree" I'll admit to owning one (bought used off of someone who probably joined ASR before I did...wasn't cheap! So my question is, just how bad is it, for those who've compared it in blind listening (if anyone). I I DO like how it at least produces silence when turning on, unlike one of my (older) Toppings and my Matrix...

No one can tell you whether it's 'bad' or 'good'. There are plenty of better measuring DACs for about $100-$150. My suggestion is buy one and A/B test yourself. If you do, please report back on your findings.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
A pop? When?

My new Modius does not 'pop'. You may want to reach out to Schiit.
When I had mine, it did too, on first plugging it into power.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
When I had mine, it did too, on first plugging it into power.

Huh. And this pop was heard through the speakers or is it internal (just to clarify)? Have you tried unplugging/plugging to see if it's repeatable?

Now I'm going to investigate mine. . .

dfuller

Major Contributor
Huh. And this pop was heard through the speakers or is it internal (just to clarify)? Have you tried unplugging/plugging to see if it's repeatable?

Now I'm going to investigate mine. . .
Through speakers. I no longer own it (solid it to a ME friend for his sub channel), so far as I know he's had no issues.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Through speakers. I no longer own it (solid it to a ME friend for his sub channel), so far as I know he's had no issues.

Got ya.

So I tried unplugging/plugging mine. Amp on, speakers connected, and no pop. Tried it several times. Turning it on/off with the toggle switch produced no speaker pop either. There is a soft relay click from the Modius internally, but obviously that's normal and not what we're talking about.

Generally though, my DACs stay powered 24/7.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
I actually own both units(Modi3+ and Modi Multibit) both purchased this year, no pops out of either.

Last edited:

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Yes sir, Thank's man I went back and edited my org post as well.(I blame the time change)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have my RCA 8 transistor from 1963 or so.

I won it for my skill at negotiating the bicycle obstacle course at the local park.

View attachment 18305

Still works, which would have surprised me as a kid, somehwere I got the idea that transisors would only last 20 years or so, due to cosmic rays or atomic drift or whatever upsetting the junctions.
That relic may be worth a million dollars now due to its relative rarity. Or maybe donate it to the Smithsonian.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That relic may be worth a million dollars now due to its relative rarity. Or maybe donate it to the Smithsonian.

Or not...

1615771874410.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Damn- thought you might be able to retire early and in comfort...

There are levels of "comfort".

My last paycheck was in 2002, and I'm waiting to max the Social Security Social Security paycheck.

Maybe the radio will continue to appreciate.

We'll see what it brings at the Estate Sale.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are levels of "comfort".

My last paycheck was in 2002, and I'm waiting to max the Social Security Social Security paycheck.

Maybe the radio will continue to appreciate.

We'll see what it brings at the Estate Sale.
I'm turning 62 in May and seriously considering taking SS early but the hit is large.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm turning 62 in May and seriously considering taking SS early but the hit is large.

The breakeven point for taking it earliest and latest is about age 83.

Earliest birds get less (overall) and latest filers get more (overall) as of that (approximate) tipping point.

1615852726114.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The breakeven point for taking it earliest and latest is about age 83.

Earliest birds get less (overall) and latest filers get more (overall) as of that (approximate) tipping point.

View attachment 118433
83?!! Hell, I feel lucky to have lived this long!

Top Bottom