• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rotel RB-1552 MK II Amplifier

Pecrobet

I recently purchased power amplifier to for additional power and head room. I use my Cambridge Audio CXA81 as preamp.

My main audio system components consist of: Cambridge Audio CXA81, Cambridge Audio DAC Magic, OPPO BDP-93 CD player, pair of Warfedale Linton 85 speakers and pair of REL T5x subs. I decided to upgrade power amplifier, so I purchased the Rotel RB-1552 MKII.

I use my Cambridge CXA81 as preamplifier for the Rotel. However, It does not feel like I've gained that much more power. The sound dynamics, depth and performance has improved but not as much as I expected.

Would it make difference if I used a good preamp, instead of my Cambridge? I don't see how changing to different preamp would make much difference. The Cambridge CXA81 sounds incredible alone, which tell me there preamp out shouldn't cause power to suffer.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I understand the Cambridge is an integrated amp, but it shouldn't make difference in processing or signal path. Why does it seem like the Rotel amplifier has not made a bigger impact?

Thanks
Rob

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

Speaker amplifiers in most cases don't sound significantly different until they exceed their output limits. The post below by Dr. Toole at AVSForum describes the blind tests he conducted many (~40) years ago.

The rated output of the Rotel is 130 W (8 ohms) and the Cambridge is 80 W. It is only a 2 dB difference. As both the Cambridge and Rotel should be competently designed, the relatively little difference in output power in the dB scale means that the extra capacity of the Rotel is not going to be very noticeable. If you run out of power with the Cambridge, it is very likely that the Rotel will run out too. If the Cambridge doesn't run out, then replacing it with the higher output Rotel (or any other competently designed amplifiers) will make very little differences.

OP
Pecrobet

Pecrobet

Welcome to ASR!

Speaker amplifiers in most cases don't sound significantly different until they exceed their output limits. The post below by Dr. Toole at AVSForum describes the blind tests he conducted many (~40) years ago.

The rated output of the Rotel is 130 W (8 ohms) and the Cambridge is 80 W. It is only a 2 dB difference. As both the Cambridge and Rotel should be competently designed, the relatively little difference in output power in the dB scale means that the extra capacity of the Rotel is not going to be very noticeable. If you run out of power with the Cambridge, it is very likely that the Rotel will run out too. If the Cambridge doesn't run out, then replacing it with the higher output Rotel (or any other competently designed amplifiers) will make very little differences.
I appreciate insight. A 2dB difference is nothing. Now, that I think about and do calculations, I see why there's not much difference. It's been sometime since I've read/reviewed my audio textbooks. Lesson learned. Thanks again!

Top Bottom