• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon Set-up and Optimisation

Dgob

Hi All,

I now use the Topping D90 SE with a Raspberry Pi4 and Roon with Qobuz for streaming. My endpoint is my Dell XPS15 laptop. I was wondering how people set-up their own Roon's for maximum performance? For example, do you prefer Asio or Alsa; do you prefer lossless or Enhanced, etc?

I was hoping that this might be a suitable place for us to share our set-up approaches and preferences. More or less, just an outline of how we connect and setup parameters for best quality audio. Of course, if such a thread already exists, I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect you mean the pi is your endpoint and the Dell is your core.

The roon set up should follow your requirements. You don't mention other than as a player what your requirements are.

I assume Asio vs Alsa relates to how the pi sends usb to the dac, no idea there, sorry.

But as for roon itself, keep it lossless until you need to add some DSP. I wouldn't add any DSP that doesnt help with either headphone or speaker response.

mrbungle

Take what you read on the Roon forum with a grain of salt when it comes to sound quality. Plenty of nonsense, although it tends to get a bit more pushback these days.

Optimizing for stability and network performance makes some sense. But audio files are tiny for current network speeds, so don’t overthink it. Basic DSP such as parametric EQ and volume leveling runs fast enough on pretty much everything. A power efficient mini PC you can plug into your router and forget is probably more convenient than a Laptop, but that has nothing to do with maximizing performance. If you have some Linux experience, DietPi can be more flexible and stable than Ropieee, but that’s about it.

Top Bottom