• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon endpoint DAC

babar

Forum Donor
Hi,
I am looking to replace a topping d70 pro sabre which is currently mated to a a70 pro.
I like Roon and would like to have a dac which can serve as a Roon endpoint which I gather is better than Roon ready and Roon tested.
MQA would be a plus as I subscribe to tidal (alps quboz and amazon but like the Roon & tidal interface).
The topping d70 pro sounds a little bright to me. I'm using the expanse and Stella as headphones. Thanks!
Anything else anyone can tell me to improve my understanding would be really appreciated. Thanks! Have a lovely weekend all.
Price $750 - $1000 ideally but can push a little

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi,
I am looking to replace a topping d70 pro sabre which is currently mated to a a70 pro.
I like Roon and would like to have a dac which can serve as a Roon endpoint which I gather is better than Roon ready and Roon tested.
MQA would be a plus as I subscribe to tidal (alps quboz and amazon but like the Roon & tidal interface).
The topping d70 pro sounds a little bright to me. I'm using the expanse and Stella as headphones. Thanks!
Anything else anyone can tell me to improve my understanding would be really appreciated. Thanks! Have a lovely weekend all.
Price $750 - $1000 ideally but can push a little
Keep your DAC and just get a streamer that does what you want (eg RPI, Wiim etc) at a fraction of your budget (… and yeah forget about MQA).

OP
B

babar

Forum Donor
thanks. to recap and add:
I perhaps should have mentioned that I am using my MacBook Pro M1 as my streamer.
I am looking for a DAC replacement of the Topping D70 PRO. Something that will connect to my computer via USB and then onward feed the A70 Pro. I have the Wiim Pro but want something more 'substantial'. This this I mean something that looks nice on my computer desk which a device slightly more high end looking.
That it have a warmish signature would be a big plus as the current setup sounds somewhat bright and I am allergic to a pronounced treble.
With respect to MQA, I hear you guys, and have dug into the format and am alive to its considerations and perceived improvements. Nevertheless compared to Quboz, Amazon, Spotify and Apple Music which I subscribe to I find myself using this more simply because it is more user-friendly to me and I like the suggestion engine. While not as good as Apple I like that I can get higher res than Apple. Is there a way to get Apple Music in it's lossless quality and not use my Mac headphone jack?
I hope this can help further with any suggestions. Much appreciated!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As you already using roon on that same computer that is your streamer it would be a doodle to explore roon’s EQ possibilities especially look up some correction curves for your specific headphones.

And adjust to taste , I too dislike harsh sound and likes well balanced treble .

On Windows I would recommend Ealizer APO with Peace GUI , but roon’s has great eq if it’s you only source on the computer and you does not need general system wide eq.

You have reached the end of audibility in DAC’s read our tread about sound signatures of DAC’s ( they don’t exist in properly designed stuff )

Snoopy

Major Contributor
thanks. to recap and add:
I perhaps should have mentioned that I am using my MacBook Pro M1 as my streamer.
I am looking for a DAC replacement of the Topping D70 PRO. Something that will connect to my computer via USB and then onward feed the A70 Pro. I have the Wiim Pro but want something more 'substantial'. This this I mean something that looks nice on my computer desk which a device slightly more high end looking.
That it have a warmish signature would be a big plus as the current setup sounds somewhat bright and I am allergic to a pronounced treble.
With respect to MQA, I hear you guys, and have dug into the format and am alive to its considerations and perceived improvements. Nevertheless compared to Quboz, Amazon, Spotify and Apple Music which I subscribe to I find myself using this more simply because it is more user-friendly to me and I like the suggestion engine. While not as good as Apple I like that I can get higher res than Apple. Is there a way to get Apple Music in it's lossless quality and not use my Mac headphone jack?
I hope this can help further with any suggestions. Much appreciated!

Wait till the matrix audio mini I pro 4 is released. It's within your budget and has usb, Lan, WiFi and a display .

Top Bottom