• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Room set up

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When my wife leaves me because of my hifi obsession I can put them where I want!

An other solution is a house big enough where you have a room reserved for whatever you want. I have 2, my wife can do whatever she wants with the rest of the house, never been happier together and we are both retired.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
What are the actual issues you’re trying to fix? So far I’ve only seen concerns about potential issues. If you seek acoustic treatments for worries and concerns you’ll end up flushing a lot of money down the toilet ;)

I’d say, be methodical, find a speaker placement that suits the furnishings and pleases the wife, then measure the room response. Take it from there, starting with the bass. If you don’t know how to spot room response issues in the measurements, post them here. Likewise, if you are not sure what to do about those issues.

OP
S

StaresyJ

Thank you the realdotnet! Not so much major issues but trying to squeeze the maximum juice from the fruit and hopefully aid others in the process! I am new back to hifi after 20 plus years of young kids growing up and other stuff. From where I was 2 months ago I am happy but never want to stop pushing reasonable and affordable boundaries. I think in summary I am trying to avoid obvious errors which as a fresher back to hifi I might miss, from there, hoping for incremental wins.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
In that case I’d say get yourself a UMIK-1 and start measuring. You’ll be horrified at first (everybody is), but this will give you ample opportunity to tweak and optimise. And you won’t be doing it blind, in a throwing-spaghetti-at-the-wall kind of way.

MacCali

Major Contributor
When my wife leaves me because of my hifi obsession I can put them where I want!
I would still pull out further. Seems like you can do it with no issue. TV stand about one foot away from the wall, and the speaker another foot.

The rear wall is your biggest issue I believe, the sound hits the wall and bounces back into the room and the more space you provide will cancel that effect and make things sound better.

I got cheap speakers in my living room but I have a lot of space. It definitely looks awkward as the tv is mounted on the wall but my speakers are 5 feet from the rear wall and it’s made a decent difference.

OP
S

StaresyJ

I would still pull out further. Seems like you can do it with no issue. TV stand about one foot away from the wall, and the speaker another foot.

The rear wall is your biggest issue I believe, the sound hits the wall and bounces back into the room and the more space you provide will cancel that effect and make things sound better.

I got cheap speakers in my living room but I have a lot of space. It definitely looks awkward as the tv is mounted on the wall but my speakers are 5 feet from the rear wall and it’s made a decent difference.
I’m warming towards placing the speakers at the chimney breast end. The 2 units will be moved to create reflection paths to the side walls. I can get each speaker at least 100com from each side wall and as far from the back wall as i need. The issue being the speakers will sit fairly close to the chimney and I wonder if this will create a bass trap? This seems more contained but I might be missing something obvious ?

Attachments

• 446E720A-257D-41ED-BEAE-01B8D330B8E9.jpeg
    446E720A-257D-41ED-BEAE-01B8D330B8E9.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
S

StaresyJ

I’m warming towards placing the speakers at the chimney breast end. The 2 units will be moved to create reflection paths to the side walls. I can get each speaker at least 100com from each side wall and as far from the back wall as i need. The issue being the speakers will sit fairly close to the chimney and I wonder if this will create a bass trap? This seems more contained but I might be missing something obvious ?
This is the alternative end of the room but I have the pesky open archway to the right which is smack bang where the RH speaker Will spurt out sideways bass waves .

Attachments

• D3B962DB-12A9-4B22-BC11-DC6CD999C648.jpeg
    D3B962DB-12A9-4B22-BC11-DC6CD999C648.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 44
OP
S

StaresyJ

Pool both speakers and TV out to the beginning of doorway and little wider put speakers (about 2 m), add cuple of acoustic dumpers/bass traps to the back wall and corners and clean out the furniture you actually don't need (extended part's of that angular garniture and what ever is that behind it).
You were right. Have found a spot that the music is coming from the centre of the wall, 2m behind the speakers (which are invisible). Eureka moment. Can’t believe how good it sounds. Thought this was just what you read about. Everything is perfect. Wow.

Top Bottom