• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roller Coaster Tycoon

Scrappy

Anybody play this classic game? I’ve enjoyed it for years as it’s a tremendous combination of creative/ “fun” and technical thinking. Not dissimilar to our audio pursuits I think.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I played SIM games where I run a city or a island and build it all up but never a rollercoaster. A peep here the other day said that he's really into it and that he is engineering rollercoasters. What degree of engineering is going on?

OP
S

Scrappy

I played SIM games where I run a city or a island and build it all up but never a rollercoaster. A peep here the other day said that he's really into it and that he is engineering rollercoasters. What degree of engineering is going on?
Ahh Sim City 2000 is great, ha. I was into those too.

As far as “engineering,” the game simulates physics as well as needed, so you’re making tracks with trains on em, with vertical and lateral forces calculated and adjudicated for how “enjoyable” it is. Lord Marcel on YouTube has broken down every bit of the game fwiw.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh Sim City 2000 is great, ha. I was into those too.

As far as “engineering,” the game simulates physics as well as needed, so you’re making tracks with trains on em, with vertical and lateral forces calculated and adjudicated for how “enjoyable” it is. Lord Marcel on YouTube has broken down every bit of the game fwiw.
Thanks for the lead although I have games backlogged and awaiting my attention when the cold weather really sets in when Jan and Feb come. I have Wolfenstein Youngblood, Sniper Elite 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Chernobilyte Enhanced Edition and a couple more in que to play. I would be playing them today but this cold weather is not here to stay for a couple of months but it will be in Jan and Feb.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Haven't played it. But the fact that 99% of it was written in x86 assembly makes Chris Sawyer a bit of a demigod in my book.

EDIT: RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic is now on my Steam wishlist :)

Last edited:
OP
S

Scrappy

Thanks for the lead although I have games backlogged and awaiting my attention when the cold weather really sets in when Jan and Feb come. I have Wolfenstein Youngblood, Sniper Elite 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Chernobilyte Enhanced Edition and a couple more in que to play. I would be playing them today but this cold weather is not here to stay for a couple of months but it will be in Jan and Feb.
Ha fair enough! I usually only game when it’s the depths of winter too. RDR2 is awesome. Played lotsa poker ha.

OP
S

Scrappy

Haven't played it. But the fact that 99% of it was written in x86 assembly makes Chris Sawyer a bit of a demigod in my book.

EDIT: RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic is now on my Steam wishlist :)
I’m no programmer but I know it’s an insane feat. I still have my original disc from 20 years ago. Runs perfectly stable on any ole PC. There’s now OpenRCT2 that allows lots of rule-bending and adds features that help workflow

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha fair enough! I usually only game when it’s the depths of winter too. RDR2 is awesome. Played lotsa poker ha.
I'm about 20 minutes into RDR2 getting through the boring parts and making sure my box runs the game well. Running 1440p with about avg 100 FPS at high to extreme video settings. It's quite a demanding game thus far.

OP
S

Scrappy

I'm about 20 minutes into RDR2 getting through the boring parts and making sure my box runs the game well. Running 1440p with about avg 100 FPS at high to extreme video settings. It's quite a demanding game thus far.
Boring parts?! Exposition is key, ha. Mostly kidding. I love games that can manage to be cinematic. I’m a casual console gamer, more interested in how the sound is done, especially with surround (really weird for 3rd person Red Dead). Thems some specs tho, damn! I noticed how good the horses in deep snow looked at the beginning, rockstar was showing off, ha

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Boring parts?! Exposition is key, ha. Mostly kidding. I love games that can manage to be cinematic. I’m a casual console gamer, more interested in how the sound is done, especially with surround (really weird for 3rd person Red Dead). Thems some specs tho, damn! I noticed how good the horses in deep snow looked at the beginning, rockstar was showing off, ha
I noticed them showing off the game engine...Lol. The coal oil lamps at the beginning when the riders where moving through the snow was very impressive and the shading system was awesome.

Matthias McCready

When I got my first nice TV (4k, HDR, large for the room), playing Roller Coaster Tycoon was my first act and it was everything I though it could be. :cool:

Top Bottom