• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But there are RME ADI-2 Pro (non-FS), RME ADI-2 Pro FS and RME ADI-2 Pro FS R, correct?
Yes, indeed.

And there is also the cheaper ADI-2 (non Pro) fs
There used to be a non-fs version of this one too, but that was a long time ago.
This is most probably too limited for home use, though.
(There is no USB interface)
This is more a Pro-market or Home-Studio-market device.

mtf612

I wish they came in an all silver chasis so that it could better match my setup. o_O
Thanks for the review, Amir. I guess it is time to buy myself a graduation gift.

A.West

Forum Donor
I've just ordered it. Any advice on how to optimally set the 5 equalizer points for a Senn HD800?
Can Amir or another owner comment on the appeal or not of the crossfeed filters?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Yes, indeed.

And there is also the cheaper ADI-2 (non Pro) fs
There used to be a non-fs version of this one too, but that was a long time ago.
This is most probably too limited for home use, though.
(There is no USB interface)
This is more a Pro-market or Home-Studio-market device.
Wow this is confusing.

@MC_RME Could you please confirm the release dates for these devices?
  • RME ADI-2 DAC (if it exists?)
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2
  • RME ADI-2 Pro
  • RME ADI-2 Pro FS
  • RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
  • RME ADI-2
  • RME ADI-2 FS

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the most compelling thing about the RME is its feature set—how much it can do and also still manage to be near the SOTA in its measurements. Considering its capabilities, performance, and its made-in-Germany construction, it has very good value even at its >$1000 price point.

I have to second the suggestion to create a new color for the band of products with SINAD>115.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2
  • RME ADI-2 Pro
  • RME ADI-2 Pro FS
  • RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
  • RME ADI-2
  • RME ADI-2 FS
All correct apart from the ADI-2 DAC, which doesn't exist (or hasn't been launched).

Rockfella

Forum Donor
RME ... hmm maybe someday I will own one :)

Thanks for the review amirm.

gvl

Major Contributor
I will buy the next version if they add support for convolution filters.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No Thermal graph, Output impedance, and Filters, and Headphone-Out SINAD, Jitter vs Input?

;-{
I post the default filter output in the review.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow this is confusing.

• RME ADI-2 DAC FS
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2
  • RME ADI-2 Pro
  • RME ADI-2 Pro FS
  • RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
  • RME ADI-2
  • RME ADI-2 FS

You forgot the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. (Not a joke, BTW.)

Great company, great products, but very hard to understand product naming system. It probably costs them some sales.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can Amir or another owner comment on the appeal or not of the crossfeed filters?

It's crossfeed filters are all fairly standard. Have you used crossfeed on anything else before?

It's purpose is to simulate the the way way sound from one channel diffracts around your head to the opposite ear when listening to speakers.

If you're susceptible to the psychoacoustic effect (and your headphones are suitable) it will move the phantom images farther out in front of you and prevent hard panned instruments from sounding like you're standing in the middle of a long hallway with speakers at either end.

IME the HD800 responds very well to crossfeed so it's definitely worth trying.

Veri

Master Contributor

Hemi-Demon

Congratulations, RME!
Great to see how the use of AK4493 improved the performance over the use of AK4490.
It would be fantastic if they would make a version with a top chip like the AK4499, not only for ultimate performance, but also because its multichannels capabilities would allow many possibilities such as multiple parallel uses of front and back outputs.

Hi jae, I agree with you re. a XLR-4 output, as the cables of my headphones are often terminated with this kind of connection. I have a 22xTRS --> XLR-4 adapter for my ADI 2 Pro, but I find it cumbersome to use. Also when the RME amp clips (it happened so often when I would let it directly drive my HE6se..., but sometimes even with the Arya; luckily I now have the HPA4 amp), it sets back to a single TRS output, and the sound becomes mono...
A front XLR-4 output would mean a bigger form factor, but actually I would love a bigger screen (the present one is packed with information, but that info is so tiny, sometimes a hassle to read for me, esp. when compared with that of the HPA4) which would also be a touchscreeen (the button combinations are not the simplest way of navigating, so much time spent with the online manual...), i.e. a screen like that of the HPA4. (A bigger format would also allow to integrate a power supply). The price however would be much higher.

My dream RME would upgrade the present ADI 2 [PRO] FS with:
one or two AK4499, a front balanced XLR-4 output, a front balanced 2,5 mm IEM output, a larger touchscreen like that of the HPA4, a more powerful amp... but would be much more expensive...

All the best to all,
bidn

I 100% agree. All I want is a single AK4999, one XLR front output, keep the iem 3.5mm jack (or 4.4mm) at low impedance, and dual XLR outputs in the rear.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
You forgot the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. (Not a joke, BTW.)

Great company, great products, but very hard to understand product naming system. It probably costs them some sales.
I own that one:)

It came at the same time as the Pro FS R.

Top Bottom