• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Svperstar

Something is wrong with your setup, if your headamp overload with only a common 2V/4V input signal.

Try +7dBu at 0dBr volume. -17dBr @+1 dBu is not the way to go as a fixed line out, you're killing SNR & Dynamic Range that way.;)

So I manually locked in the settings to +7 dBu and 0 Volume and did a volume lock and while this helped a lot but still seemed too loud.

I checked the manual and it says "The levels at the XLR output are 6 db higher"

Ah ha. Dropped it down to +1 dBu and now I actually have some wiggle room on the volume.

Svperstar

The precomputed results on the GitHub repo aren't fully compatible with the RME as they use ten filter bands.
Not fully because they're designed so that you can use the first five PEQ filters or all then. But using the first five will be a bit coarse.

You can use the AutoEQ python script to recompute the presets for the RME for best results (there's a config file for that).

Or you can use oratory's list of presets for the RME: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets_rme_adi-2/

Yes but then I still have to manually dial in the EQ on the RME, I think it would be faster to just use a software equalizer in Windows unless I am missing something.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather +19dBu -4.5dB for 4V.
Nope "+19dBu" is not a thing with the ADI-2 DAC. It's indeed+13dBu (which equals +19dBu when using balanced output).;)

Why dou you think that both 2 and 4V were mentioned? Nevermind...

Trell

Major Contributor
So I manually locked in the settings to +7 dBu and 0 Volume and did a volume lock and while this helped a lot but still seemed too loud.

Ah ha. Dropped it down to +1 dBu and now I actually have some wiggle room on the volume.

The ADI-2 DAC manual is quite useful: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Edit: With a volume lock you also miss out on, for me, the best feature of the ADI-2 DAC: Dynamic Loudness.

In paragraph "31.12 Operation in the Hi-Fi Environment" page 64 we have:

1673092322602.png

Last edited:

Svperstar

Edit: With a volume lock you also miss out on, for me, the best feature of the ADI-2 DAC: Dynamic Loudness.

This is mostly academic as I am using the headphone out on the RME directly I owned the SP200 before I got it and I am keeping it around for power hungry headphones I might get in the future. The SP200 has a lot of power even on Low Gain which is why I was having issues.

In other news I am kicking myself for not setting up Equalizer APO before. I downloaded it and got the AutoEQ .txt files for my headphones. It took a grand total of 30 minutes. I work in IT for a living so it wasn't very difficult. I like this method more then spending hours dialing in the settings on the RME directly. Then I can just use the B/T buttons for a little fine tuning if I feel like and leave the .txt files as is.

Sadly my 20 year old Sennheiser HD590s I got off ebay in the original box don't have a preset, I guess I could try and make my own

Svperstar

Anyone pairing their RME with this balanced tube amp? Its only $169 so I was thinking of picking it up but not looking forward to recabling everything.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Anyone pairing their RME with this balanced tube amp? Its only $169 so I was thinking of picking it up but not looking forward to recabling everything.

Why? To feed a super clean signal to an effect and distortion machine?

Get a DAW if you want apply effects at least it is quantifiable and more importantly reversible.

Rant over.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor

Why not use the excellent HP amps included with the ADI-2 DAC FS?

Svperstar

Svperstar

Why not use the excellent HP amps included with the ADI-2 DAC FS?

I am but don't own a tube amp and not interested in a crazy expensive one

Turambar

I have both, and if I want to use the MT-604 I connect it to the RME using XLR.

I guess you are aware that the MT-604 is a hybrid, not a fully tube amp.

The "tube" effect, as such, is pretty modest, if any. In your case, knowing what I know now after buying the MT-604, I would either go for a proper tube amp, or will forget about connecting hybrids to the RME.

Lance Goler

Hey folks, I’m intimidated by all the knowledge in this forum.

Maybe an obvious question but don’t see it referenced as a use case in the manual. Is it possible to connect my ELAC Navis bookshelf speakers to the ADI-2 balanced out and not be in danger of blowing the speakers out? This seems to be a great piece of equipment for someone who wants to use headphones + actives, but let me know if I’m missing something? I just want to make sure headphone amp is completely separate from the DAC, so no dual amplification when connecting active speakers.

Last edited:

dBiz

Hey folks, I’m intimidated by all the knowledge in this forum.

Maybe an obvious question but don’t see it referenced as a use case in the manual. Is it possible to connect my ELAC Navis bookshelf speakers to the ADI-2 balanced out and not be in danger of blowing the speakers out? This seems to be a great piece of equipment for someone who wants to use headphones + actives, but let me know if I’m missing something? I just want to make sure headphone amp is completely separate from the DAC, so no dual amplification when connecting active speakers.

Lance Goler

Not sure how this thread is relevant. I’m not looking for budget advice. I only want to make sure that my speakers won’t be damaged by running them in conjunction with a headphone amp, in this case, the RME.

dBiz

Not sure how this thread is relevant. I’m not looking for budget advice. I only want to make sure that my speakers won’t be damaged by running them in conjunction with a headphone amp, in this case, the RME.
Yes you can output the analog signal of the RME DAC to your speakers.
Use the output of the RME, RCA or XLR (preferably the XLR outputs) to your speakers. Make sure you do to have the volume on the RME locked, meaning you can control the output of the DAC with the volume control.

Lance Goler

Yes you can output the analog signal of the RME DAC to your speakers.
Use the output of the RME, RCA or XLR (preferably the XLR outputs) to your speakers. Make sure you do to have the volume on the RME locked, meaning you can control the output of the DAC with the volume control.
When you say “locked” volume, do you mean variable or fixed? If fixed, which to me means locked, wouldn’t that cause maximum output that could do damage to both my hearing and speakers? The manual of the Navis says to make sure the preamp has variable output, which makes sense.

Top Bottom