• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC vs. D90+A90 vs. Burson Conductor 3

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if a well recorded cello piece gives me goose bumps and I can hear the resonance of it’s wood body
Try this one then.
Cello is also one of my soft points.

By the way, I've been invited to attend a recording in one world-renowned studio in Belgium.
A Friend of mines had composed a music for theater involving a Cello. The raw capture literally gave me goosebumps.
After processing and mixing, though, and unfortunately, this effect disappeared.
Back then (2001), this was really a great studio. Monitors were wall-mounted Genelec 1036, I think.

One thing I can control is to keep a component in my system or not depending on how it sounds to me.
Nothing's wrong with your choice.
None of those measure bad.
it doesn't hurt anyone.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's just it...you look at the measurements and wonder! I'm tempted to try the Soncaz after looking at all the measurements.

Try it to what end? What features / connections does it have that your current DAC doesnt?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try it to what end? What features / connections does it have that your current DAC doesnt?
Just to try it out of curiosity. I haven't tried a less expensive dac in a long time since getting my current.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to try it out of curiosity. I haven't tried a less expensive dac in a long time since getting my current.

Go for it!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What if.....???? :oops::facepalm:

If it sounds the same as your current DAC? Send the new one back for a full refund.

If it sounds better based on something resembling proper level matched blind testing? Sell the old expensive one for as much as you can get to offset the new purchase

If it sounds worse than existing based on something resembling proper level matched blind testing? Send the new one back for a full refund.

The tricks are buying from somewhere that will offer no quibble refund and testing in something resembling fair conditions.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some folks, like myself, are just gear sluts, lol. I have a killer set up, but keep wanting to try the newest shit, it's a sickness.

I know the feeling. The danger for all of us is; we read about new shit, we buy new shit, try new shit, like new shit (repeat). Not sure many of us ever stop to test new shit vs old shit properly. Thereby perpetuating the shit cycle.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Such statements are only valid when the wife was in the kitchen .:p (SCNR).
I take it back, consider it redacted.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Some folks, like myself, are just gear sluts, lol. I have a killer set up, but keep wanting to try the newest shit, it's a sickness.
I suffer from the same behavior... lol

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Try this one then.
Cello is also one of my soft points.
I love Goran Bregrovic, especially the gypsy stuff with all the horns. It’s supper addictive, a good test of system speed and resolution BTW.

Some recordings that can give me goose bumps:
Interstellar Soundtrack
Faure Requiem (this performance is unbelievable - I’ve been listening to it for years)
Yo-Yo Ma playing Bach Cello Suites
Delibes flower duet (recently found performance, really well recorded IMO)
Tuareg music
Tête Raides - I’m a huge fan

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
A Friend of mines had composed a music for theater involving a Cello.
Thanks for the tip, I’ve added Jean-Philippe to my Tidal playlist. I’ll have a listen tomorrow. I needed new music to dig. Merci!

Nybto

Forum Donor
It’s not fair all this. If the wife pipes up about the sound after years of ignoring you, and it happens to coincide with a change in the electronics, which naturally she is totally unaware of, that is significant!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not fair all this. If the wife pipes up about the sound after years of ignoring you, and it happens to coincide with a change in the electronics, which naturally she is totally unaware of, that is significant!
She's had a look at the joint bank account statement

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Agree, that’s why I mentioned it, to reinforce my point. And, you know, after being married for 25 years, getting her attention is a big thing for me. What I do still matters. :)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We've all been through that kind of experience one day. The only thing wrong with your method is that you swapped equipment yourself, so you know when something was changed, therefore you tried to find something different.
If somebody else did the change and you didn't even know when something was changed, there is a good chance you'd never hear a signigicative difference, in one way or another. Or, rather, this difference would have been completely random.

It's not just you. All of us are subject to that kind of experience.
It's just that, as the brain can't hear everything, it chooses to focus on some details at will (and sometimes without us being aware of the choice). And that different focus leads us to think we hear something different. While we just look at a different detail of the picture.

I was chatting with some pro sound engineer a few weeks ago.
A typical experience we all had, during mixing a recording, is to decide to tune the balance of a track by adding bass or so. Then we hear the change.
Seconds or minutes later, we find that it's still lacking. We come back to the same track and change it again. To realize that either we were changing another track, or the EQ was bypassed. And still, we heard the change !
This happened to all of us.
Things will sound different after a losing a heated argument with spouse/boss/kids too - the mind is a crazy thing. It's almost as if you have to control for everything to ensure a consistent listening environment.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or, it could be that as we age, we lose hearing, so we keep turning up the volume until finally the wife can hear the stereo clearly from the kitchen.

Top Bottom