• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2016: Dynamic Sounds, VPI, Ortofon, Tweek Geek, Luminous Audio

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A6948.jpg

093A6949.jpg

093A6951.jpg
093A6950.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This was an incredible LP setup with no less than three arms! One was dedicated to mono. The other two had a Ortofon MC Anna, ($9K) and MC A95 ($6.5K) cartridges for comparison. The two sounded substantially different with audience not agreeing to which one was better! Love these kind of demonstrations.

I thought the speakers were too far apart. To deal with room issues, there were a lot more companies using the length of the room for the speakers but then we sat too close to them given the shallow depth of the room. You would get this disjointed sound as if you had two independent mono speakers at times. Tough situation to be in from manufacturer point of view.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As an example of older mono recording, we listened to this (on LP) with the mono tonearm/cartridge): Something Cool by June Christy. http://shz.am/t3107567

Very nice given the vintage of the recording.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh, this room had the Stein Harmonizers.

Did you feel extra harmonized? Did you ask them to demonstrate it?

It was probably the little back boxes near the wall behind the speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh, this room had the Stein Harmonizers.

Did you feel extra harmonized?
I do. I even smell better now!

Indeed I asked what the little things were on top of the speakers. Answer was that the room was horrible and they had to do whatever they could to make it sound better and that was one of the pieces of the puzzle!

Top Bottom