• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ripping records to music server NAS

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I am getting closer to using the Waxwing to rip a record via the optical output - just received the Hifime optical to USB converter. My laptop is rather old and was running Windows 7 last time I used it. So, rather than try to resurrect it or buy a new one, I was looking into using my iPad for the job. There is an app called Wavepad that looks to fill the bill. If I can get the iPad to see my NAS, I would be able to rip directly to the folder used for my music server. Has anyone here used an iPad to do anything along these lines?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
To each his own.

linuxfan

If I can get the iPad to see my NAS ,,,
iOS natively supports the SMB network protocol, so an iPad can easily access NAS boxes. Just Google "iPad access NAS" for connection instructions.

But for audio production, even at a basic level, I would prefer to have my storage drive connected directly to the workstation, not via a LAN, and certainly not via wifi on a LAN.
I would also prefer to have a keyboard and mouse for this task.
I would also prefer to keep my initial recordings separate from the NAS, and later transfer the final audio tracks to NAS after clipping up individual songs, converted to FLAC or ALAC, with tags added. In other words; keep production files on a dedicated audio workstation, and transfer only the final product to the NAS.

Alternatively, I would avoid vinyl ripping altogether, instead sourcing the desired albums as second hand CD's on eBay, then ripping them. To each his own.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
iOS natively supports the SMB network protocol, so an iPad can easily access NAS boxes. Just Google "iPad access NAS" for connection instructions.

But for audio production, even at a basic level, I would prefer to have my storage drive connected directly to the workstation, not via a LAN, and certainly not via wifi on a LAN.
I would also prefer to have a keyboard and mouse for this task.
I would also prefer to keep my initial recordings separate from the NAS, and later transfer the final audio tracks to NAS after clipping up individual songs, converted to FLAC or ALAC, with tags added. In other words; keep production files on a dedicated audio workstation, and transfer only the final product to the NAS.

Alternatively, I would avoid vinyl ripping altogether, instead sourcing the desired albums as second hand CD's on eBay, then ripping them. To each his own.

I am not sure as to why I would need a local hard drive to record album sides. Wifi has plenty of bandwidth. If it were an issue there is plenty of storage in the iPad.
A couple of reasons for using albums I already have rather than looking for a CD. First, if I like the recording on the LP, there is no guarantee the mastering will be the same on the CD. Secondly, the fun of getting my favorite albums on the server. I probably won't get as fancy as snipping individual songs - just leave it as entire album sides captured at 96 KHZ by 24 bits wav files.

Top Bottom