• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reviewer is annoyed at FR curves converging

mocenigo

Major Contributor
If you do it wrong, it certainly does! It took me a while to get good. Luckily Amir offers suggested EQs for a lot of headphones and speakers.

Well, of course, but I was mocking the attitude of the audiophilitics that believe that EQ always ruins the sound. In all cases. Always. I remember when I suggested one of these folks that he should buy a Puffin phono preamplifier and feed its output to a minidsp in order to apply EQ to his recordings to fix some room issues. HERESY! The jagged edges of digital quantisation shall never destroy the pristine purity of his analog records! But, no, the solution can only be trying dozens of expensive and coloured amps until one is found that magically works by equalising in the right way... and maybe picking also the right cables and other accessories to "fine tune". Sigh...

Tarnith

Yeah, all I'm seeing is the gap closing between the signal that was encoded into the recording and the reproduction of that at the ear drum.

The cheaper this gets the better for everyone in my opinion. The less "flavour" products that are popular/accessible and the more objectively neutral/accurate to the source products that exist the easier production is, and the better well produced stuff sounds.

Really hope to see it happen for the headphone market as quickly as it's advanced in the IEM market. Distortion is really low in a lot of affordable IEMs (especially subbass) compared to headphones or most speakers with a reasonable price. Looking forward to that hopefully becoming normal across everything, along with consistent tunings.

I can't wait until it's mostly a "solved" problem, at a non-pro price.

hartyewh

There seems to have been a development in driver tech that is enabling all these manufacturers to clone the Moondrop Aria tuning around the $20 price range. HBB did not mention the Aria clone part as he probably doesn't want to make these manufacturers look so bad in case he wants to consult for them in the future:

View attachment 261903

From a reviewer perspective, yeah, I'd be grumpy too if I had to review 7 Moondrop Aria clones in a month. But from the perspective of the manufacturer - which HBB to his credit mentioned - it makes a ton of sense. You get to copy an IEM which has been very successful in the marketplace. If headphone manufacturers could clone the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 as well as these manufacturers have been able to clone the Aria, they would have done this yesterday. And it's human nature for businesses in a given sector and region to copy each other. For example, the German automakers have made those stupid "coupe" SUVs, because they saw each other make one and decided to have one of their own.

Some more variety in tuning would be great, as while Harman is a generally correct answer, I don't believe it is the only answer. The Etymotic ER2XR is the one IEM from traditional manufacturers that still holds up against the very tough Chinese competition, and it's a diffuse-field tuning. But tuning is really hard. Crinacle is in high demand because that man knows how to tune an IEM - see the 7Hz Zero, Truthear Zero, and Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk - and he has a very popular personal brand that guarantees a sales floor.
Cadenza and Wan'er sound very different from one another as well at least in my ears. I would prefer them for very different genres.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well... Digital did "ruin" the audiophile hobby! :D

And digital photography & Photoshop and phones with excellent cameras...

"AI postprocessing on phones is ruining photography, unlike my purist DSLR take with 6 hours of Photoshop!"

Tarnith

"AI postprocessing on phones is ruining photography, unlike my purist DSLR take with 6 hours of Photoshop!"
Not to go too far off topic, but there's a *world* of difference in processing one can do on a large sensor DSLR/Mirrorless RAW file compared to what most phones are capable of (Although the gap is closer than it used to be) and the difference in optical quality is night and day, as is the choice of focal lengths and the various changes you can get in depth compression/reduced aberration, etc.

The people who say processing is ruining photos have never seen someone pushing stops in a dark room though... not inherently a digital thing. I think you need to be a bit subjectivist when creating and an objectivist when it comes to reproduction of that creation.

Top Bottom