• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

TorbjornJ

You can check the firmware version, for example macOS displays it in System Report. I don't know a way to check the hardware version thought.
Software is not interesting, hardware version is.

To use Amir's own picture from page 1, it says "Tone V13 - 2018 - 03(?)" down in the right corner here:

index.php

hyperknot

But FW is always a good clue about manufacturing date as well. For example my 1,04 unit must be relatively new.

jak

So, I'm using it on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10), and just now in about 13 of 15 cases of unplugging and replugging i only get white noise and then it stays dead. Same happens when accidentally switching the output profile in pulseaudio to SPDIF and then back to stereo (also one time just by starting a video in chrome). do others experience the same issues? this sucks (batch 2819, fw 1.04).

jak

@jak

If you on USB try another cable than the supported one that sollution worked for me and many other users : )

It seems to be related to me setting the avoid-resampling setting in pulseaudio. With it off, I don't seem to be getting the issue.

So I guess given that most my audio is 16/44.1 and my default setting is to run cards at 32 bit (for EQ shenanigans), that it jumps to fast between various modes, the chip gets confused and needs to be unpowered to reset.

jak

Thanks @jak

Ha ha that was a new one, will remember don't confuse the chip :)

Well, I could have said that there's a race condition when switching altsets on the interface that causes the firmware to enter an error state, but this seems quite technical.

DomieMic65

my KTB case came and it's OK too
I'm just one little KTB screw off
from the ones that were with the board.
there were 5 in the box but for the aluminium case there are 6 needed to attach 3 small feet on the board and screw the feet underneath the case

Huey2001

Hi all, so I have ordered my KTB and anxious to try it out. The idea is to connect it to a raspberry pi 2 squeezelite and output to a Marantz amp. Not sure whether I will use usb, or add a hifiberry digi+ for spdif input. My ears will need to decide but I am also curious for recommendations.
As this is a measures forum I am curious about the effects of a DAC behind another DAC though. Would it not spoil the signal? (In this case we could have the digi+ cascade to ktb to even marantz dac if so chosen).
Love tohear advice and the theory behind these. (My apologies if this is addressed elsewhere on the forum, but I did not find it as yet).

regards

Pritsley

So, I'm using it on Linux (Ubuntu 19.10), and just now in about 13 of 15 cases of unplugging and replugging i only get white noise and then it stays dead. Same happens when accidentally switching the output profile in pulseaudio to SPDIF and then back to stereo (also one time just by starting a video in chrome). do others experience the same issues? this sucks (batch 2819, fw 1.04).

I had a similar problem in windows 10 ,since i unplugged the coaxial cable it has stayed stable

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bit surprised hear if misallignment of holes is on the PCB and not the third party audiophonics alu box, is that right ? :)

Well... I think the problem is with the Audiophonics box. Khadas might possibly have changed the board - not likely, however.

milw50717

Hi all, so I have ordered my KTB and anxious to try it out. The idea is to connect it to a raspberry pi 2 squeezelite and output to a Marantz amp. Not sure whether I will use usb, or add a hifiberry digi+ for spdif input. My ears will need to decide but I am also curious for recommendations.
As this is a measures forum I am curious about the effects of a DAC behind another DAC though. Would it not spoil the signal? (In this case we could have the digi+ cascade to ktb to even marantz dac if so chosen).
Love tohear advice and the theory behind these. (My apologies if this is addressed elsewhere on the forum, but I did not find it as yet).

regards

I'm confused by the DAC behind a DAC comment as the KTB does not have an output that could feed another DAC unless you use a VIM SBC also, which seems not to be the case for you as you are using a Pi. If you are using the KTB with a VIM then apparently you can output S/PDIF that could then be used to feed another DAC, which seems a bit of a waste as you could simply use a cheaper option, such as a Digi+ HAT for the Pi.

I use a Pi 3 with a KTB and have used them in the following configurations:
  1. PI -> USB -> KTB -> Amplifier
  2. Pi + Digi+ -> Coax S/PDIF -> KTB -> Amplifier
The Pi 3 (and possibly the Pi 2) shares the same controller for the USB and ethernet port and some indicate that there could be noise/jitter/interference introduced if using the USB to feed the KTB. I use wired ethernet for my PIs, but can't recall any bad effects. Others may have other experiences and measurements around this, but maybe try using the Pi 2 -> USB -> KTB -> amplifier chain first, before buying the Digi+. It may be good enough.

Huey2001

I'm confused by the DAC behind a DAC comment as the KTB does not have an output that could feed another DAC unless you use a VIM SBC also, which seems not to be the case for you as you are using a Pi. If you are using the KTB with a VIM then apparently you can output S/PDIF that could then be used to feed another DAC, which seems a bit of a waste as you could simply use a cheaper option, such as a Digi+ HAT for the Pi.

I use a Pi 3 with a KTB and have used them in the following configurations:
  1. PI -> USB -> KTB -> Amplifier
  2. Pi + Digi+ -> Coax S/PDIF -> KTB -> Amplifier
The Pi 3 (and possibly the Pi 2) shares the same controller for the USB and ethernet port and some indicate that there could be noise/jitter/interference introduced if using the USB to feed the KTB. I use wired ethernet for my PIs, but can't recall any bad effects. Others may have other experiences and measurements around this, but maybe try using the Pi 2 -> USB -> KTB -> amplifier chain first, before buying the Digi+. It may be good enough.

Ok, my bad, I thought a digi+ also used a dac, but seemingly not? But basically it is correct that even if possible, you should not add another dac to the chain, correct?

Indeed I will first try the usb, but I probably would need to be convinced a digi+ would not be better ;-)
Would the rpi with digi+ benefit from the pro or transformer version you think?

milw50717

Just the one DAC is sufficient and no, the digi+ does not contain a DAC.

For the extra $10 go for the Pro as that way you will never have to wonder if you should have bought the Pro version. Plus you can also add a BNC jack if you should wish to experiment with that type of a connector or cables that use them.

Last edited:

Huey2001

Just the one DAC is sufficient and no, the digi+ does not contain a DAC.

For the extra $10 go for the Pro as that way you will never have to wonder if you should have bought the Pro version. Plus you can also add a BNC jack if you should wish to experiment with that type of a connector or cables that use them.

Haha, you figure I would indeed keep having doubts if not using the pro... But other than possible analogue ears you do not think there is substantial measurable difference possible due to the extra clock?

(by the way: I now understand my own confusion: digital signals need digital connectors, and analogue their own so I guess they could not even be put in a chain without first being reconverted to the other one I should think).

Thanks for your time to explain, regards!

DomieMic65

Do not forget the Allo DigiOne for SPDIF output from a pi.
I have it and it’s very very good!

Top Bottom