• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

D

Deleted member 3718

Hey this just happened to me as well. Nearly an identical case time wise as well and I just received the silver unit, model was 1903 though so I think V1. It had a European power supply but I am just using my old one. I emailed them again to see if they have at least hopefully tested this one for the 100 hours they said they do now. How did it work out for you?
Mine was 181, so an early model V1. I have received the replacement so I'm very grateful to Topping for that. I still have it boxed up because I'm now considering selling it. I'm worried that the replacement V2 will eventually fail in the same manner. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid but I've lost some faith in Topping.

TKO

Mine was 181, so an early model V1. I have received the replacement so I'm very grateful to Topping for that. I still have it boxed up because I'm now considering selling it. I'm worried that the replacement V2 will eventually fail in the same manner. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid but I've lost some faith in Topping.

I meant my replacement unit was 1903 so they sent me one of the v1 models not the newer one I was wondering if you got a v2 or not? On the whole I do agree I’ve lost some faith too but the service is good and the product I think is excellent (besides the failure) I love the quality and the remote is very useful for me I haven’t seen anything similar at this price range.

D

Deleted member 3718

I meant my replacement unit was 1903 so they sent me one of the v1 models not the newer one I was wondering if you got a v2 or not? On the whole I do agree I’ve lost some faith too but the service is good and the product I think is excellent (besides the failure) I love the quality and the remote is very useful for me I haven’t seen anything similar at this price range.
Same here. I love everything about it except for the reliability issues.

I've opened the replacement package just enough to see the serial number and its 1903. I'm actually not 100% sure that it's a V2. I just assumed it was. This is specifically what topping told me when they said they'd send me a replacement:

"do you mind the silver color as black is no longer available for this version?"

They don't specifically say it's a V2. I will message them again and see if it's V2 or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yuno

Same here. I love everything about it except for the reliability issues.

I've opened the replacement package just enough to see the serial number and its 1903. I'm actually not 100% sure that it's a V2. I just assumed it was. This is specifically what topping told me when they said they'd send me a replacement:

"do you mind the silver color as black is no longer available for this version?"

They don't specifically say it's a V2. I will message them again and see if it's V2 or not.

1903 is V1.

TKO

Yep Topping also confirmed it was V1. What is the serial number like for V2?
I also have bad news in that my replacement fried again yesterday. I contacted support and they will pay for shipping it back and send me a v2 model this time. I don’t know if the hassle will be worth it for you if yours fries again. For what it’s worth they said this hasn’t happened to one of the models I was sent but I think I have heard of people having problems with the 1903 model here.

patient_ot

I wonder if that is a true v1 or a repaired v1 or if they swapped the entire board out for a v2 board?

Question for you guys, I own a pair of LCD-2C's and was thinking about switching from my current Shit stack to something with a bit more quality behind it like the DX3 Pro. The stock cable of the 2C's is terminated with a 6.25mm jack. Will adding an adapter between the DX3 Pro and the headphone cable really impact anything? I assume it adds a bit more resistance, but the 2C's are fairly easy to drive, so I'm guessing I don't need to worry much about that.

Veri

Master Contributor
Question for you guys, I own a pair of LCD-2C's and was thinking about switching from my current Shit stack to something with a bit more quality behind it like the DX3 Pro. The stock cable of the 2C's is terminated with a 6.25mm jack. Will adding an adapter between the DX3 Pro and the headphone cable really impact anything? I assume it adds a bit more resistance, but the 2C's are fairly easy to drive, so I'm guessing I don't need to worry much about that.
An adapter like this is low-stress and would be ideal:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Cable-Adapter-Female-6-3mm/dp/B008JGWY2Y

TKO

I wonder if that is a true v1 or a repaired v1 or if they swapped the entire board out for a v2 board?
It was for sure a v1 as they said as much wether it was a repaired unit or new I’m not sure but it felt like new as all the caps on the connectors were included.

D

Deleted member 3718

I also have bad news in that my replacement fried again yesterday. I contacted support and they will pay for shipping it back and send me a v2 model this time. I don’t know if the hassle will be worth it for you if yours fries again. For what it’s worth they said this hasn’t happened to one of the models I was sent but I think I have heard of people having problems with the 1903 model here.

Wow that is unfortunate. Sorry to hear that. That doesn't give me much confidence for mine. Well I don't want to sell it now because I would hate to sell something that could potentially fail after 2 weeks. I'm going to start using the replacement, see if it fails, then go from there.

Nobbi

Hello, everybody,

Sorry for my poor English. I have the DX3 Pro since today, how can I find out if I have V1 or V2. Where is the number? On the page is a barcode with the number 1907594078. Is this the number for V2? Otherwise I won't find a number on the device. I have the new remote control I don't know if this is an indication?

Last edited:

ryohnosuke

Hello, everybody,

Sorry for my poor English. I have the DX3 Pro since today, how can I find out if I have V1 or V2. Where is the number? On the page is a barcode with the number 1907594078. Is this the number for V2? Otherwise I won't find a number on the device. I have the new remote control I don't know if this is an indication?
They say since 1905, I'm 1904 and I'm v1.

Nobbi

Oh man, 220€ and I don't know if it's good or bad. There are no new measurements. So nobody knows if the new version is worse. Better to send it back? Alternatives?

ryohnosuke

Oh man, 220€ and I don't know if it's good or bad. There are no new measurements. So nobody knows if the new version is worse. Better to send it back? Alternatives?
Just keep it. AFAIK it doesn't measure as better as v1 but it is perfectly capable DAC with "safer" hardware inside. Some guys says there's not difference on sounding.

PianoDar

Based on the chip used, it's probably just as good with high impedence headphones (>80 ohms), but not as good with lower impedence.

Tucson

FWIW Here is un update on my experience with the Topping DX3 Pro. The Topping did not reproduce some of the harmonic content of instruments accurately. The sound itself is fine, for a relatively inexpensive DAC/Amp. However, when I A/B tested it with my Apogee One, the sounds with the Apogee sometimes included additional overtones, making it a more well rounded, accurate sound from some instruments. I first detected this playing my favorite songs on the Topping, at first happily listening along. I A/Bed with the Apogee to verifying what I thought I was hearing, both at same volume. In one song, the sax was coming off a bit "boomy". On the Apogee, this was not the case. There were additional frequencies of the sound that brought out more its character, that of a sax. This difference was obvious to me. So I have returned the unit.

The DX3 Pro initially sounded good until I played songs that I have used to test other such units years in the past. I have the sound memorized, having heard the same music literally thousands of times. I know how it sounds with better DACs. The DX3 still faired better than the Apogee One in other regards, but not good enough for me. This experience of mine belies the tests performed by Amir. So the only rational explaination is that V2 differs from V1 of this unit.

In its place, I have purchased an Apogee Duet for the Mac and the iPad. This costed me about $330, normally over $400 used. It is over $600 new. It is an actual audio interface that I will be using for my recording of the music I play with my electronic synthesizers. So it will be doing double duty for me. The sound from this unit is quit impressive. There is just a "touch" of sibilance on a couple songs on one album. If this happens on other music, I may end up using a pro software dynamic equalizer for this that I should still have, one that came with my recording software.

Now I have come full circle in my search for a DAC that can do as well, like the Duet, but at a cheaper price. I have failed. So now I am back with my Apogee Duet. I am selling the Apogee One. No close comparison between the two.

Last edited:

Nobbi

Just keep it. AFAIK it doesn't measure as better as v1 but it is perfectly capable DAC with "safer" hardware inside. Some guys says there's not difference on sounding.
Mmh, I don't know. I bought the DX 3 because of the very good test from amirm. The test now has no validity, as far as I can judge. That disturbs me and I have a bad building feeling.

The DX3 Pro initially sounded good until I played songs that I have used to test other such units years in the past. I have the sound memorized, having heard the same music literally thousands of times. I know how it sounds with better DACs. The DX3 still faired better than the Apogee One in other regards, but not good enough for me. This experience of mine belies the tests performed by Amir. So the only rational explaination is that V2 differs from V1 of this unit.
When I read that it confirms the assumption that there are big differences between V1 and V2. The review should be clearly marked that the test is V1.

Will Amir also test the V2?

I live in Germany. Which really good alternatives can you recommend to me? Budget max. 220€ (275 $)

patient_ot

We know that V1 and V2 differ from each other. Topping changed the headphone amp chip and the headphone performance is different. I don't have a V1, but I've got no problem with my V2/LDAC model. I'm not a headphone nut and the unit is hooked up to my stereo system in fixed output mode. Note that this isn't the first time Topping, SMSL, or any other company has released an updated version of a product. Based on what we've seen up to this point, I don't think performance of the unit is going to drop like a rock or anything.

The only reason I see to avoid this unit in particular is if you specifically know the change is going to negatively affect performance of the specific headphone model you are using. For me the headphone amp section is a bonus feature I will likely not use very often.

Top Bottom