• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
@Bruce Morgen ;)
trolls-internet-dont-feed.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, and I can't imagine a magician just making random changes to his props until a trick emerges.

Don't see why audio reproduction should be any different.
Perfect

Zibi

Yet another, "The measurements suck, not recommended" review that fails to correspond to what is heard (Umm, he was too busy to actually listen to the SGC, but went ahead and published the review? That's totally irresponsible.). I have several AudioScienceReview "Not Recommended" components, and guess what, they sound stellar. I've been at this hobby for 45+ years, and if there's one thing I've learned it's ignore those graphs and charts. They serve as nothing more than rough indicators, and certainly not predicators of what you will hear, and enjoy. I can cite countless audio components that measure horribly, yet sound heavenly. The PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell is one of them.
If you like it - bless your heart. However, numbers do not lie.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Was a troll. Long gone now.

Came to defend the honor of a single product through audio revelations, but instead managed only to cement facts that were already known.

mlloyd1

I saw an ad for PS Audio's Stellar earlier today. After reading, I thought, "hey this seems neat & interesting!" I did a search to look for internal pictures; I like to see the engineering that goes into stuff. Plus, I was curious; from the product descriptions, it sounds like they use transconductance stages (like at least one other company does) to avoid performing volume control using the usual signal attenuation pots. To do that well requires very good attention to lots of circuit design details, especially power supply impacts. So, I was disappointed to see potted modules. Next, I say "Oh well, let's see who's tested it and what they think..." I like reading test results, including ASR's so was pleased to see that amirm had tested it. I took a look and was a little disappointed again to see the results. But then, I looked at quite a bit of the discussion afterwards. Yes, I'm an engineer too; all I can say is "Wow" ....

Top Bottom