• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Orchard Audio Gala DAC

rajapruk

Forum Donor
As I understood it, there were some issue in the noise-floor of the jitter measurement? Does this fix fix that?

What is the introduction-price for bare pcb without box? I am possibly interested in 4 of them.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Dynamic Range and SNR is not the same thing as many of you point out, also Amir does not use A-Weighing which would further improve the result. So my 130dB SNR (0 dBFS, A-Weighted, 10Hz - 22kHz bandwidth) spec is accurate, and I stand by it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the APx555 that Amir uses has it's own residual noise of 1.1uV. This noise is present in all of the unit's measurements. This becomes more and more critical as a DACs noise gets lower and lower.

For example if you have a DAC with a noise of 1.1uV the unit will actually measure a noise of sqrt(1.1^2 + 1.1^2) = 1.56uV that is 1.41 times higher than the actual noise of the DAC.

But if you have a DAC with a noise of 10uV the unit will actually measure a noise of sqrt(10^2 + 1.1^2) = 10.06uV, almost no difference.

As for the SINAD measurement, I went back and double checked what the manufacturer did on the unit that I shipped to AMIR, and they used an old bill of material, which means the power supply for the negative rail of the op amps is not sufficient and will cause them to slightly clip or saturate as AMIR put it. That is why the SINAD measurement is lower, when I measured a different unit with the correct power supply I got -110dB for THD+N. Here is the plot. As you can see THD+N at 0 dBFS is essentially 0.0003% which would equate to -110dB.
View attachment 16438

The final unit will have the LED's significantly dimmed as well. Actually I was planning on removing 2 of the 3 and dimming the remaining one, just so that there is some indication that the unit is running. (I would like some more feedback on this as well)

In summary the specs that I have for the unit will be correct for the final product.

Another thing is that if sign up for the mailing list here, you will be able to purchase one at $349:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gala-ultra-high-performance-stereo-dac/coming_soon/x/19247162

Would you be able to post an SMPTE IMD % vs FFS/dBfs graph for comparison to Amir's, please?

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Would you be able to post an SMPTE IMD % vs FFS/dBfs graph for comparison to Amir's, please?
Unfortunately I cannot, I currently do not have access to and audio analyzer.

What I can do is fix the power supply inside the unit that Amir has and send it back to him.

orchardaudio

Audio Company
For those who are interested here is some more info:

GALA - What's Inside?
ea4ooimndfb2uueiixh6.jpg

Full GALA Specs
  • SNR: 130dB (A-Weighted, 10Hz - 22kHz bandwidth)
  • THD+N: <-108dB (0dbFS)
  • Output Level: 5 Vrms (XLR)
  • Output Impedance: 100 ohm
  • Frequency Response: DC - 22kHz
  • Input: Gold Plated Coaxial S/Pdif
  • Sample Rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz
  • Resolution: 16 and 24 bits
  • Size: 5.5'' x 4.25'' x 2.375''
  • Volume Control: 0 to -80dB, and mute (knob turned fully counter-clockwise)
  • Manufactured in USA

pos

Forum Donor
Will these modifications solve the high noise floor that we see in Amir's jitter test, as well as in the lower part of the IMD vs level test?

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Will these modifications solve the high noise floor that we see in Amir's jitter test, as well as in the lower part of the IMD vs level test?

The IMD issue will definitely be solved, as that is a clear result of saturation.

For the jitter, I am a bit shocked, considering that the dynamic range already measured much better than on ApplePi DAC. So how can the noise floor be worse? I would like to think this is also attributed to the op-amps clipping / saturation.

GALA is better than ApplePi DAC with respect to Jitter and SNR. This is because it has lower noise linear supplies, and the clocking scheme is much better than on the Raspberry Pi.

Last edited:

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I am referring to the lower level part, on the left side of the graph.

After a closer review of the data, I have a very strong suspicion that the manufacturer also put some wrong value filtering capacitors on the board. This is because the noise seems way too high.

That should not be there, at low levels the IMD should be better than -60dB not anywhere near -40db where it is now.

I really should have measured the device myself before sending to Amir, but renting an audio analyzer is way too expensive for a small manufacturer like myself.

The noise floor of GALA is better that the ApplePi DAC (I have verified this on multiple occations), so the unit Amir has must be defective.

I can guarantee that every production unit will be fully tested and meet the specs.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Amir, if you have some spare cycles, can you please do a quick test of a single leg of the XLR output? Curious if there's common mode noise is present on the outputs.

gvl

Major Contributor
After a closer review of the data, I have a very strong suspicion that the manufacturer also put some wrong value filtering capacitors on the board. This is because the noise seems way too high.

That should not be there, at low levels the IMD should be better than -60dB not anywhere near -40db where it is now.

I really should have measured the device myself before sending to Amir, but renting an audio analyzer is way too expensive for a small manufacturer like myself.

I can guarantee that every production unit will be fully tested and meet the specs.

This is somewhat disconcerting, how can one be sure they get a unit that performs up to the spec if the manufacturer can change the parts without notice? At $500 a pop I'd expect more attention to the quality control.

orchardaudio

Audio Company
This is somewhat disconcerting, how can one be sure they get a unit that performs up to the spec if the manufacturer can change the parts without notice?
I dont think they did it intenianally, but mistakingly. These boards were populated by hand not by pick and place, so human error is very possible.

Also all production units will be fully tested before shipping.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Maybe you can provide a test protocoll for each device when it is sold, for assurance?
Just put a paper with it within each shipping package.

orchardaudio

Audio Company
There is still one thing that bugs me, the dynamic range measured much better than ApplePI DAC, yet noise floor is much worse, those two are contradictory.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another thing to keep in mind is that the APx555 that Amir uses has it's own residual noise of 1.1uV.
My actual performance using the same settings as for DAC tests in dashboard, has less noise:

1539451381477.png

Or about 0.88 uV.

If I go up to 45 kHz bandwidth, it will then get up to 1.2.

orchardaudio

Audio Company
My actual performance using the same settings as for DAC tests in dashboard, has less noise:

View attachment 16464

Or about 0.88 uV.

If I go up to 45 kHz bandwidth, it will then get up to 1.2.
Ok, but even the 0.88uV will still make a difference at lower noise levels.

What is the noise level measured with GALA connected and receiving 0FS signal.

Also as per my other post can you shed some light on why the dynamic range measures much better than ApplePi, yet the noise floor is much worse. To me those two things are contradictory.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What is the noise level measured with GALA connected and receiving 0FS signal.

Here it is with S/PDIF off (relay disconnected in the analyzer):

1539451976986.png

Here it is with S/PDIF on but generator off:

1539452071633.png

Results are the same for a -150 dB test tone at 1 kHz.

Top Bottom