• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

AudioJunky

$219.99 small print:
Delivery (now 23 jul):
Estimated between Tue. 20 Aug. and Fri. 27 Sep.
Seller sends within 10 days after receiving cleared payment- opens in a new window or tab.

;)

Similar times on Amazon from SHENZHENAUDIO Arrives: Aug 13 - Sept 4

Alderaan_Null

Similar times on Amazon from SHENZHENAUDIO Arrives: Aug 13 - Sept 4

I know ShenzenAudio says those dates, but their shipping time is actually must faster than that from what I have experienced. I ordered my D70 from them via Amazon (with similar long arrival time), and it took only 2 days from day of order to show up at my door. This was to California.

This might not be the case for everyone, but It seems their shipping is must faster than what Amazon quotes. At least in my experience.

AudioJunky

I know ShenzenAudio says those dates, but their shipping time is actually must faster than that from what I have experienced. I ordered my D70 from them via Amazon (with similar long arrival time), and it took only 2 days from day of order to show up at my door. This was to California.

This might not be the case for everyone, but It seems their shipping is must faster than what Amazon quotes. At least in my experience.

Sold!

Placed my order, thanks.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so i'm new in this shop in China thing, could someone tell me is this legit site? I don't wanna to order and send money just to make some shady Chinese on the back of fish shop laugh all afternoon drinking Baijiu for my money ;)

Is it better to wait for D50s to appear in other sources?
Yes it is legit, no problem.

Negatywny

Yes it is legit, no problem.

Thx.

I just got email from topping saying that d50s is on Aliexpress and "I think later you can find it on amazon and ebay."

So i think it's quite the oposite since i've seen it today on amazon and ebay but i can't find it on Aliexpress ;)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx.

I just got email from topping saying that d50s is on Aliexpress and "I think later you can find it on amazon and ebay."

So i think it's quite the oposite since i've seen it today on amazon and ebay but i can't find it on Aliexpress ;)
Search D50s on Aliexpress to find a page where you can choose D50 or D50s and the color.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The true benefit of hires is to have a linear phase response without ringing in time domain leaving the only filtering to be our ear. The high frequency content won't cause any audible improvements.

Hi,

I come back to that quote from you.

Is the linear phase possible to get using a FIR low-pass filter (by convolution) and staying at 44.1 kHz ?

Which reconstruction filter is best for the D50s then?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a THD+N vs Frequency @ 44.1 kHz (90 kHz BW) graph?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi,

Is the linear phase possible to get using a FIR low-pass filter (by convolution) and staying at 44.1 kHz ?

Filter #5 looks good to me? Linear phase + fast roll-off

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi,

The thing is that you don't know the filtering (frequency response and phase) of human ears. And you don't know the filtering of the recording it could be either or mixed.
Hires eliminates the effect of the above and leaving the filtering to human ears.(but difference is extremely small already)
For 44.1khz, just choose the one that sounds good to you. You may not hear difference at first but you may hear over time. It's more about coherence and long session enjoyment than immediate change in ab. So basically you can be happy with the default filter and won't have any issue.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
ESS not giving their manufacturing customers a solution tells you everything you need to know about the company. I'm going to avoid them in the future. They're clearly not ethical.
I am with you as far as ESS dropping the ball here. They should have immediately created a solution/app note and communicated that to all of their customers. Leaving each one to figure out how to do this right makes no sense at all.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am with you as far as ESS dropping the ball here. They should have immediately created a solution/app note and communicated that to all of their customers. Leaving each one to figure out how to do this right makes no sense at all.
Companies can seek help individually from ess. But it's just they seem to be really weird not publish publicly.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But I guess it has something to do with the operation itself. We can buy cs43131 ak4490 pcm1794 from mouser or digikey as well as evaluation boards. And detailed datasheet and evaluation board circuit can be downloaded without registration or buying from dealers. But not the case with ess. The companies then relies on the dealers to solve any issues like this.

Snafu

Looks like Topping finally got their P50 PSU out:

Features:
Compatible with global voltage
Sealed Toroidal Transformer
High power reserve
Instrument Level-Ultra Low Noise Linear Regulator

Spec
Attribute
Measured: 11.0cm11.0cm×5.2cm
Weight: 0.88Kg
Power input: AC110V/AC220V 50HZ/60Hz*
Colour:Full black/Full silver
Power output:usb-ax2、dc(5.5/2.1)×1
Power supply noise<1 mVrms
Output Power:
DC5V1A x2
DC15V 1A
Output Power
DC5V 1A x1+DC15V 0.9A
DC5V 0.8A X2+DC15V 0.8A

https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/toppi...-supply-for-topping-d50-d50s-dx3-pro-d30.html

US$119

i placed order for D50S tuesday and it was shipped out yesterday.

Veri

Master Contributor
Looks like Topping finally got their P50 PSU out:

Features:
Compatible with global voltage
Sealed Toroidal Transformer
High power reserve
Instrument Level-Ultra Low Noise Linear Regulator

I really don't think such a compact supply will be any better than any good 5V charger or laptop source which is already perfectly adequate :/

p50-02.jpg

Like other said I really think this is just catering to the audio tweak bunch of people. Would love to be proven otherwise though...

Negatywny

Looks like Topping finally got their P50 PSU out

Yeah, I've seen it when searching D50s, it would be pretty duo, but only pretty since it doesnt improve performance or enything...
When testing D50 most noise for me leaked in through USB data ceble. For me ports in front of PC case ware cleaner. Also usuing longer USB cable helped a lot.
In the future i'm planning to use some isolator here, since some of noise is still audible on highest volume levels.
Using PC USB for powering also made lot of noise. Changing it for phone charger solved problem completely (I think so...)

I've compared the D50 to chord qutest and only audible difference was this noise leaking in through USB cables, so i hoped if there ever will be improved version of this DAC it would be isolation of it ports - it would be totaly worth another 50$ ;)

Last edited:

Snafu

^^ If PSU works fine there shouldn't be difference. More about my experiences with PSU's and PB's in D50 thread.

I have Zerozone 5V/3A PSU for regular D50. And yes, i have opinion about sound but... not here :D

Top Bottom