• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Gustard DAC-X26

maty

Major Contributor
The question is how may people have a good preamp, integrated or power amp do not miss the excellent measurements of some DAC. Very few I think.

From a certain price it is very important to foresee what would happen in case of having a problem.

By the way, with the widespread use of super/low noise voltage regulators the power of these devices will not have problems with a grid every day dirtier.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
May you measure 5khz and 8khz spectrum please? Is the nosing up at higher frequency noise or distortion?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Not sure its a dilema. The ADI has a superb ADC, is cheaper and has performance that is very close on its DAC.

Cant knock the Gustard though as I think its the first implementation of a 38pro that I have seen that hasnt been completely ballsed up :)

View attachment 23339
I believe he meant adi2dac which is cheaper tham pro and doesn't have adc.

chashaodan

I`d like to see the sectrum of 5khz & 10khz @90khz. What`s going wrong here?
InkedGustard DAC-X26 DAC Balanced Audio THD versus Frequency measurements_LI.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Glad to see a "Chi-Fi" brand with all these marketing codes: "double ES9038 Pro", "Double toroidal transformer"... But at the end nails ALL the tests.

Plaudits to Gustard. This is true engineering!:cool:
Well one thing is that there is supply noise. Not 100% it's from usb or the power supply itself.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I think it is a fair point that the RME is cheaper, but it is also true that you can get a transparent DAC for much less than the RME too. As expensive hifi goes this Gustard is not over the top (the high end enthusiasts would probably deride it as mid-fi). My own view is I see no reason to spend so much on a DAC but I also think that the measurements at least show a genuine depth of engineering and it does perform extremely well. I think once you reach audible transparency that further improvement is slightly moot but I also understand the attractiveness of seeking ultimate performance even if it is not necessary in audible terms. However, I really don't see why being made by a Chinese company is a reason to judge a product. Good performance and engineering is good performance and engineering regardless of the point of origin.

Sure, however the lack of proper QC processeses within these Chinese manufacturing chains, sucks.

la2ygoo

Forum Donor
Hi,amirm.
In this measurement , Is GPLL MODE high?
Gustard claim that in high GPLL MODE,jitter will be very low.

Gustard claim with GPLL ,they don't use ess 9038 pro's asrc ,so maybe that is why x26 do not have "ESS IMD hump" .

Last edited:

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Now, the dilemma is Gustard DAC-X26 ($ 1,289) vs RME ADI-2 DAC (€ 989 at home -> $ 1,112, in EU).

How about Gustard vs. Chord Qutest? Can they be meaningfuly compared based on their measurements?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I don't believe the RME ADI-2 DAC has an AD converter. The ADI-2 Pro has an AD converter, and costs substantially more than the Gustard.
Yep already pointed out, I mis read Matys post assuming his comments about the ADC presuming he was referring to the pro

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Oops, sorry, I hadn't read all the way down. My apologies.
Nothing to apologise for :)

I suppose the issue with DACs now is that there is very little else to eek out in performance terms. There are some very cost effective dacs that are only few dB behind the SOTA.

Not knocking the Gustard. 38 Pro Implementations are conspicuously absent from the mainstream. The unbalanced output manages 113dB sinad which is only marginally better than much cheaper offerings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom