• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of CHORD Qutest DAC

Music1969

Major Contributor
On paper, something like the Schiit Modius blows away the qutest at a fraction of the cost while also offering balanced outputs if you ever need them.

Aside from the unbalanced outputs which you already mentioned - Modius 'blows away' Qutest in which measurement exactly?

We must be looking at very different measurements...

Veri

Master Contributor
Aside from the unbalanced outputs which you already mentioned - Modius 'blows away' Qutest in which measurement exactly?

We must be looking at very different measurements...
Averaged they perform just about the same. The distortion at modius' level is not audible at all. So yes, I think Modius is very impressive.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Averaged they perform just about the same. The distortion at modius' level is not audible at all. So yes, I think Modius is very impressive.

Right, so Modius 'blows away' Qutest was a severe exaggeration ;)

Of course that was obvious to anyone that looks over the measurements of each.

Veri

Master Contributor
Right, so Modius 'blows away' Qutest was a severe exaggeration ;)

Of course that was obvious to anyone that looks over the measurements of each.
Maybe I am easily blown away then lol ;) personally I take price into big consideration especially for what you get. if you don't agree with that then that's fine hehe

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bottom line in my opinion, I would personally feel cheated to spend so much money on Qutest when newer offerings give you more at better price. That is unless you believe head-fi threads about sound impressions where I'm sure the Qutest is a 'night and day' difference. I would beg to differ.. :)

I’d have to agree with @Veri. I posted earlier that I was considering the Qutest, before the Modius arrived. I can’t see an “audio science” justification for the Qutest now, even though I am still curiously and strangely attracted to its form factor. But even then, when I compare it to a Topping D90, it comes up short at less than half the retail price.

So unless you are buying for aesthetics, the Qutest does not offer more for the money than several other DACs at a fraction of its price. But, truthfully, if I could get a good used one for $300, I’d probably would still buy it because of its uncanny allure.

It’s a high performing DAC; it’s just not a great value.

jhm

Forum Donor
Thank you @Veri and @Angsty for your advice.

I understand you are saying the Modius performs around the same level as the Qutest but at a fifth of the price.

From a quick search, the Modius doesn't seem to be available in the UK at the moment. Should I wait for it or is there anything else which you would recommended (with the same or better performance than the Qutest; and with a price in the region of the Qutest or lower) ? Thank you again!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: jhm

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

jhm

Forum Donor
Thanks again for the replies. I looked in the DAC comparison charts and various threads on this forum and I just ordered a Topping D90.

I chose it over the Modius because the D90 has more of the features I want, e.g. up to 24/768 (matching with my Mojo); DSD and Bluetooth. I didn't go for the MQA version. It's my first audio product from an actual Chinese manufacturer (as opposed to lots of things which I own which from companies elsewhere and made in China) so fingers crossed I have no major issues (I bought from Audiophonics in France so that should help in relation to EU consumer protection laws).

I also considered the SMSL M400 which I saw has very slightly better measurements than the D90 and a presence on this forum (which is great) but decided not to get it because of its inferior build quality.

I was also interested in the Gustard DAC-A22 which has two (rather than one) AK4499 DACs inside and is even better built than the D90 but then I read the thread on here which indicated that the implementation sadly seems flawed. Gustard also seem to have no official English presence on the Internet - not even a website!

I was on the verge of ordering a Chord Qutest (£1,075 after a 10% discount which I found a UK dealer offering) until I came across this thread yesterday and asked for your advice. I've now ended up with a better, more fully featured and (hopefully) trouble free DAC for around 40% less! Well worth the donation I made yesterday to this site.

Thanks again to everyone and I look forward to reading more and maybe contributing if I have anything to say! :)

Veri

Master Contributor
I was on the verge of ordering a Chord Qutest (£1,075 after a 10% discount which I found a UK dealer offering) until I came across this thread yesterday and asked for your advice. I've now ended up with a better, more fully featured and (hopefully) trouble free DAC for around 40% less! Well worth the donation I made yesterday to this site.

Thanks again to everyone and I look forward to reading more and maybe contributing if I have anything to say! :)

I'm really glad you took your time, looked at all the options and mulled everything over :) awesome.

Puska

Modius+Freya S sounds by big leap ahead of D90.
Modius usb unison is fantastic. Soundstage wide open and depth is excellent. Using Roon core powered with Teddy Pardo psw/Allo usb signature/Modius/Freya S/2 Hypex NC 400 mono/ Goldenear one reference. Also Freya single ended out in activ mode with adapter for headphones gives excellent sound too.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Modius+Freya S sounds by big leap ahead of D90. Modius usb unison is fantastic. Soundstage wide open and depth is excellent.

What do you think causes the Modius to sound better than the D90?

Puska

Modius+Freya S sounds by big leap ahead of D90.
Modius usb unison is fantastic. Soundstage wide open and depth is excellent. Using Roon core powered with Teddy Pardo psw/Allo usb signature/Modius/Freya S/2 Hypex NC 400 mono/ Goldenear one reference
What do you think causes the Modius to sound better than the D90?
I owned Qutest, D90, smsl 500 and many more dacs. Modius is the best sounding dac so far. I used D90 in dac mode which sounds much better then using it with its pre. Why Modius sounds better then D90, i dont know. I always trust my ears.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned Qutest, D90, smsl 500 and many more dacs. Modius is the best sounding dac so far. I used D90 in dac mode which sounds much better then using it with its pre. Why Modius sounds better then D90, i dont know. I always trust my ears.

Given the reviews I’ve seen, I’d expect the D90 to be less impressive in pre mode than DAC mode. The measurements between the Modius and the Qutest are very similar, so I am surprised that there would be much perceived difference, aside from the obvious differences between single-end vs. balanced output.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Given the reviews I’ve seen, I’d expect the D90 to be less impressive in pre mode than DAC mode. The measurements between the Modius and the Qutest are very similar, so I am surprised that there would be much perceived difference, aside from the obvious differences between single-end vs. balanced output.
There's absolutely zero difference between pre mode and dac mode(-0db) when playing PCM. Minimal difference with DSD too.

Puska

The transparency is fine in dac mode while pre mode is transparent minus! Like having kind of filter.

Puska

The difference was so noticable it made me buy Freya S, which in passive mode gave excellent sq

Top Bottom