• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Aurender A10 Streamer

Krunok

Major Contributor
Chapeau to them indeed, considering that 40 years ago they were assembling B&W TV sets for Sony ...

I'm not impressed by folks buying overpriced things only to show how much money they have.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
$5500 is a huge amount!
Why would it cost so much to build a music server?
You could use a base end celeron or Ryzen 3 (or even new Athlon 220GE) and then add in a HDD and SSD for caching and run linux also for $1000 or less...
What else would the requirements be? Even if you decided to pipe all the output through a DX7 or even a D30/D10 then the price would be around $1000 unless you are doing like 25TB storage?
6TB Hitachi Ultrastar (enterprise) HDD's are $130 on Ebay brand new.
1TB Adata SU800 SSD are $128 on Amazon
Athlon 200GE is $60 on Newegg.
A320 Board is $50 on Newegg.
Rackmount/HTPC case is $50 on Newegg.
8GB ram is $60 on Newegg.
A high quality 400-500W PSU is under $50 on Newegg.

$468 Total cost for PC.
$400 for DX7 = $868 total cost
Even if you wanted to drive it via Toslink only, Xonar D2X = $80
So $948 total cost...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So $948 total cost...
You would go bankrupt if you had to then sell them for $948. Dealer margins alone are up to 40%. For low volume products like this, you would want 40% for yourself too. So the cost can't be more than 20% of the total. Multiplying your nearly $1,000 you get $5,000. :)

These guys go to shows. That cost alone is $20K per show. There are a lot of expenses....

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Frankly, for that price I see absolutely nothing to be impressed specification and function wyse. What is it that impressed you?

I start with some poetry : it is beautifully built, it offers subtle, smooth and intricately detailed sound sets to an enviable standard ... :cool:

Seriously, my current network player (SqueezeBox Receiver) its a toy considering today technology, so I was considering a new unit and I have jumped on the occasion to test the Marantz.
I am still at the stage of making up my needs ... :rolleyes:
This Marantz is perhaps too expensive for the application, although I feel it extremely good.

Do you have any suggestion I would like to ask ?

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
I start with some poetry : it is beautifully built, it offers subtle, smooth and intricately detailed sound sets an enviable standard ... :cool:

Seriously, my current network player (SqueezeBox Receiver) its a toy considering today technology, so I was considering a new unit and I have jumped on the occasion to test the Marantz.
I am still at the stage of making up my needs ... :rolleyes:
This Marantz is perhaps too expensive for the application, although I feel it extremely good.

Do you have any suggestion I would like to ask ?

My setup is simple: my network player is Volumio, running on a fanless Intel platform. Recently I have installed BruteFIR DRC plugin on Volumio. All my music is on a Synology NAS. I have Topping D10 which drives my 2 amps which are driving Castle Harlech S2 speakers over an amp switch selector.

When I will be upgradding this setup I will buy better speakers as I don't believe replacing any of my current components would make any significant changes to the SQ.

But that is my personal view on things so I cannot really recommend anything to anybody.. :)

graz_lag

Major Contributor
My setup is simple: my network player is Volumio, running on a fanless Intel platform. Recently I have installed BruteFIR DRC plugin on Volumio. All my music is on a Synology NAS. I have Topping D10 which drives my 2 amps which are driving Castle Harlech S2 speakers over an amp switch selector.

'Cause I am a Linux fanboi from the very bottom of my heart - I like Volumio, which is based on the MPD.
I am using Daphile as it allows me to better control the little SqueezeBox Receiver.
But my point is abt. hardware : I have my 2nd setup in another room and I would need to link the DAC - or the integrated amp, which neither of them has the network RJ45 capability, to the network somehow.

Or alternatively, I could build another fanless little PC keeping synchronizing the main HTPC music folders with the ones within the 2nd remote PC.

It could be a simple and budget-wise solution in fact ... :)

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
But my point is abt. hardware : I have my 2nd setup in another room and I would need to link the DAC - or the integrated amp, which neither of them has the network RJ45 capability, to the network somehow.

Or alternatively, I could build another fanless little PC keeping synchronizing the main HTPC music folders with the ones within the 2nd remote PC.

If you add Volumio to your 2nd setup it will be networked and you will also get the posibility to make DRC with it using BruteFIR plugin.

I also have 2 UPnP/DLNA setups in separate rooms and they both work fine but the prerequisite for that is that you have NAS on your network acting as UPnP media server, which is again easy to implement.

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
If you add Volumio to your 2nd setup it will be networked and you will also get the posibility to make DRC with it using BruteFIR plugin.

I also have 2 UPnP/DLNA setups in separate rooms and they both work fine but the prerequisite for that is that you have NAS on your network acting as UPnP media server, which is again easy to implement.

So : either 1 centralized NAS serving two PCs each one of these with Volumio, or two PCs each one with its music folder hard storage ... Or are you saying that the NAS (with Volumio) can fed the DAC directly without the need of a PC in the middle ?

Krunok

Major Contributor
So : either 1 centralized NAS serving two PCs each one of these with Volumio, or two PCs each one with its music folder hard storage ... Or are you saying that the NAS (with Volumio) can fed the DAC directly without the need of a PC in the middle ?

I'm using the 1st variant: centralised NAS serving everything in the house. There I have not only music but also videos and photo collection which is accessible by all Windows/Android/IOS/Volumio devices including smart TVs (which all have built in UPnP clients so they can pull music/videos and photos from UPnP media server running on NAS).

In my eyes that is much better solution than to have several local music folders.

This little fellow does the NAS job for me.

P.S. I'm not aware of any NAS that can run Volumio.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
This is a nice Volumio Intel based platform which will play music without any glitches even when running BruteFIR convolver at 192kHz upsampling:

https://volumio.org/product/volumio-mini86/

But you can of course use any Intel based PC, although I would recommend a fanless variant for music listening.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
You would go bankrupt if you had to then sell them for $948. Dealer margins alone are up to 40%. For low volume products like this, you would want 40% for yourself too. So the cost can't be more than 20% of the total. Multiplying your nearly $1,000 you get $5,000. :)

These guys go to shows. That cost alone is $20K per show. There are a lot of expenses....
True :)

Thats how its $5000 haha

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a nice Volumio Intel based platform which will play music without any glitches even when running BruteFIR convolver at 192kHz upsampling:

https://volumio.org/product/volumio-mini86/

But you can of course use any Intel based PC, although I would recommend a fanless variant for music listening.

That is cheap and cute, even cheaper would be using a pi running volumino.

Krunok

Major Contributor
That is cheap and cute, even cheaper would be using a pi running volumino.

I tried that and it was working fine with playing music but is started to have dropouts when I installed and configured BruteFIR DRC. That is a known issue with RPI and USB DACs because USB traffic is not handled well by RPI in combination with heavy networking traffic which you have in NAS sccenario. Alternatively to PC platforms it was tested to work well with BruteFIR on ODROID platform.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
I tried that and it was working fine with playing music but is started to have dropouts when I installed and configured BruteFIR DRC. That is a known issue with RPI and USB DACs because USB traffic is not handled well by RPI in combination with heavy networking traffic which you have in NAS sccenario. Alternatively to PC platforms it was tested to work well with BruteFIR on ODROID platform.

And what abt. the PC from Khadas, on which one can install the Tone Board ?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Running Volumio on Khadas VIM board together with the Tone Board is the best way to utilise that hardware. ;)

Good, I was holding my purchasing for the Tone Board but now the way is clear, so Im going to buy the whole set ... The 64GB is out of stock, but 32GB should be enough ...

Krunok

Major Contributor
Good, I was holding my purchasing for the Tone Board but now the way is clear, so Im going to buy the whole set ... The 64GB is out of stock, but 32GB should be enough ...

8GB is enough. ;)

Top Bottom