• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Resampling artifacts

T3RIAD

Is there a test file that is specifically designed to reveal resampling artifacts? I want to know if my Android phone resampling from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz is added any distortion or not.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
There is. Here's a blast from the past, straight from my downloads of the year 2004. Well, I FLAC'd it.

Found an improved version as well - also attached for good measure.

The forum won't accept any audio files as attachments, so I zipped them.

Attachments

• udial.flac.zip
    180.7 KB · Views: 119
  • udial10.flac.zip
    165.4 KB · Views: 110

Veri

Master Contributor
There is. Here's a blast from the past, straight from my downloads of the year 2004. Well, I FLAC'd it.

Found an improved version as well - also attached for good measure.

The forum won't accept any audio files as attachments, so I zipped them.
Intriguing. Any instructions on what to do with this? :)

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The file contains DTMF tones (I assume) at low volume level (in other words they are telephone buttons' tones). In addition, the second half of the file has a loud high frequency tone (around 20 kHz). If you play the file and it is processed by a poor resampler then you'll hear some distortions during that second half. Because of that loud high frequency tone I'd suggest playing it first at low volume and then increasing it a bit on following replays.

The original topic on HA: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=9772.0

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It's better to use a single-tone sweep going up to 30kHz or higher. Track the ascending tone and, if it reverses course, you have issues. Another option is recording and then throwing the file into a spectrum analyzer in a DAW.

Unrelated, if you use an ascending two-tone sweep you can listen for IMD components.

Much less risk of blowing tweeters and so on.

Top Bottom