• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recording off a 78 without a 78 compatible player.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I've been asked to find a way to get a track off a 78rpm disk for a memorial service. My turntable has no 78 speed - and if I understand correctly a special stylus is needed.

Does anyone know if I can half bake it using a standard LP/45 stylus, and then speed up the playback in audacity. Does that stand any chance of working (without damage to stylus or 78?

Alternatively - I can get a 78 stylus for my cartridge - but still don't have the correct speed. So can I convert speed in audacity or similar?

Thanks

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ronniebear

I don't know your timeframe of your project. It's not impossible to find a used low-end but adequate 1960s/1970s record changer in working condition (and "working condition" is key) with a 78 speed and a flip-over 78 rpm stylus. Youtuber VWestlife has a couple of videos on this topic. I think a key reason it can work alright is it uses idler drive, which is particularly effective with shellac 78s. See this: A beautiful little 1970s turntable that's about the same size as a modern suitcase player but can automatically play a stack of up to six records, supports all four speeds (including 16 and 78 RPM), and sounds great.

I am intrigued about the software type adjustments for speed and performance adjustment.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Audacity can do the EQ curves and adjust the speed.

Also, they made shellac 78s and later vinyl 78's. Different stylus for each of those. 3 mil stylus for shellac and .6 mil for vinyl. The vinyl 78s should play with a 33/45 rpm stylus. The shellac if you play them with the modern stylus will likely be too noisy to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom