• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended inexpensive amplifier for Rogers LS3/5a and Thiel CS .5 speakers

Hollywood_Bob

Hello Everyone:

I have been following these forums, and equipment reviews and opinions, for over a year, and it's got me so pumped that I have dug out some of my old equipment.

Can't find the amplifiers, but I have found my Rogers LS3/5a's and Thiel CS .5's, and would appreciate recommendations for an inexpensive amplifier I can get started with.

Yes, I am old, and bought the speakers Rogers in the early 1980's and the Thiels in the late 1990's. But I haven't really set things up for listening for over 20 years.

I may pop for an IOTAVX PA 3 power amp in the fall, but for now, I want a smaller sized, inexpensive power amp to use with my Topping E30 dac and Topping A50S headphone amp (for the 23 year old Sennheiser HD 650's).

I would prefer an amp that can output to a powered sub as well. I found a Velodyne DLS-3750R powered subwoofer (10 inch driver) in my storage, and may use it as well.

First for a desktop setup, then for a small room system.

I have some Ohm F's somewhere, but they are for later, if they still work. The Kef Q3's are for the Denon AVR setup.

The specifications for the speakers are:

Rogers LS3/5A

Frequency Response: 80 Hz – 20 KHz (+/-3dB)

Nominal Impedance: 15Ω

Tweeter | Bass/Midrange: 19mm Mylar Dome | 110mm Bextrene Cone

Sensitivity: 82.5dB (1w/1m)

Dimensions (H x W x D): 305mm x 190mm x 165mm (12″ x 7.5″ x 6.5″)

Weight: 10.8lbs (4.9kg)

Thiel CS.5

Two-way, ported, floor standing loudspeaker.

Drive-units: 6.5" paper-cone woofer, 1" aluminum-dome tweeter.

Frequency response: 55Hz-20kHz ±3dB.

Phase response: minimum ±10 degrees.

Sensitivity: 87dB/2.8V/m.

Impedance: 4 ohms, 3.2 ohms minimum.

Recommended power: 30-150W.

Dimensions: 8" W by 11" D by 31" H.

Weight: 35 lbs.

The upcoming Fosi F3 looks interesting, but I would appreciate some input from this forum for a power amplifier that would work with my existing equipment.

I don't want to go tube, thanks. Been there.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has a Sub out

OP
H

Hollywood_Bob

Thank you for putting forward the Loxjie A30.

After reading these forums for over a year, somehow I had missed this amp.

I'll have a look at it.

Top Bottom