• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I wanted test gear which would tell me why piano attack sounds different on to examples of DAC, or why the soundstage sounds different.

Perhaps a zoomed in graph of DAC output voltage when fed only the least significant bits of data or other way to compare resolution of different DACs. Soundstage perception requires resolution of very small microphone voltages. Channel separation matters too, but I'm not certain how much given how soundstage is audible using high resolution LP sources and yet phono cartridges show mediocre separation on paper.
If it isn't clear to you by now, you're in the wrong forum to be posting stuff like this. Expect major pushback.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Channel separation matters too, but I'm not certain how much given how soundstage is audible using high resolution LP sources and yet phono cartridges show mediocre abysmal separation on paper when measured.

Fixed :D;)

Sadly (thankfully?), from what I have been told, you don't need much more than -20dB before the brain doesn't give a rats ass any more.

(At least when talking about speaker setups)

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
or other way to compare resolution of different DACs.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the linearity test in the reviews already got that covered?

Most of them reaches the limits of human hearing well before the noise floor starts to mingle.

Davelemi

Forum Donor
Hello. I love detailed and analytical "sounding" DACs. The kind of DAC that let you examine your music like if it was an X-RAY machine. The one that does not left any subtlety or sound behind or left and that reproduce it the way it sounds in real life, that's it, in the most possible precise and exact way. I'm heading towards the CHORD QUTEST but would like to know if there is one better. My AMPS are a NAD M22 V2 and a PRIMALUNA DIALOGUE PREMIUM HP with ATC SCM7 speakers and REVEL M106 speakers. Thank you very much!!
Does it really matter how transparent a DAC is when your sending the music to a tube amp?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted to repost and share this blind amp test by @Archaea as I thought the results are quite relevant to this topic, and might even help certain people get out of the rabbit hole https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ka...e-night-events.1496367/page-450#post-60198218

All credits to the the original poster.

This clearly shows how bad-sounding the Benchmark amp is, despite its “amazing” measurements.

[kidding, for those w/out detectors, or who haven’t seen my other posts]

StefaanE

Forum Donor
This clearly shows how bad-sounding the Benchmark amp is, despite its “amazing” measurements.

[kidding, for those w/out detectors, or who haven’t seen my other posts]
Yes, how dare it sound like a $300 Behringer, is there no decency left in this world!

markk02474

Just wanted to repost and share this blind amp test by @Archaea as I thought the results are quite relevant to this topic, and might even help certain people get out of the rabbit hole https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ka...e-night-events.1496367/page-450#post-60198218

All credits to the the original poster.
Wow, amazing how mid-fi preamp and source make anything after it sound much the same, much like testing while wearing earplugs.

Folks, Garbage in - Garbage out as we said in the computer field.

This should be instructive as a cause of audionervosa - without a low noise, high resolution source, nothing down the line makes much of a difference no matter how many times you swap one thing for another. DACs with wonderful specs are great, but often the data source going into them needs to be cleaned up, except for the few DACs which do the cleanup (dejitter/reclocking) internally. Another source is power, and that needs to be clean to achieve the highest resolution too.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
. DACs with wonderful specs are great, but often the data source going into them needs to be cleaned up

Still pushing electron cleansing...
How about those blind tests?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Re: Amp Test above

Why would they pick a speaker for the testing that has its own amplification for the lows - below 300Hz?

Shazb0t

Wow, amazing how mid-fi preamp and source make anything after it sound much the same, much like testing while wearing earplugs.

Folks, Garbage in - Garbage out as we said in the computer field.

This should be instructive as a cause of audionervosa - without a low noise, high resolution source, nothing down the line makes much of a difference no matter how many times you swap one thing for another. DACs with wonderful specs are great, but often the data source going into them needs to be cleaned up, except for the few DACs which do the cleanup (dejitter/reclocking) internally. Another source is power, and that needs to be clean to achieve the highest resolution too.
Have you not noticed that we measure DACs, amps, preamps, worthless SPIDF filters, and other audio equipment here?? There is a lot of irony in you bringing up audionervosa when all your explanations for audio magic lack any scientific merit. Show us a controlled test correlated with measurements that backs up anything you've said or admit that you don't know what you're talking about. It's either or.

I don't want to buy your expensive power cables..

Last edited:

markk02474

Still pushing electron cleansing...
How about those blind tests?
I could pass a blind test easily on a high resolution system. I find it a waste of time and effort for the most part because differences are so obvious, and if they are not obvious, then I choose the component based on other factors like functionality and price. I'm not going to waste any more time on ignorant people wishing to stay that way. Digital conversion, circuit design, and digital filtering is so much more complicated than you can imagine. If you want to live a simple life and choose products based on S/N, keep at it. But something seems to be wrong with it as you seem to spend more time writing on the computer spouting noise instead of engaged with music.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

This should be instructive as a cause of audionervosa - without a low noise, high resolution source, nothing down the line makes much of a difference no matter how many times you swap one thing for another.

All of those people, who go on endless upgrade adventures and hear one night-and-day difference after the other while doing so, are just imagining it all (I agree, BTW), but when you upgrade the source it's the real deal? How do you know for sure, when the experience is exactly the same?

except for the few DACs which do the cleanup (dejitter/reclocking) internally.

What modern DAC doesn't do any of that?

Another source is power, and that needs to be clean to achieve the highest resolution too.

Again, what does the linearity test tell you?

EDIT: Have just realised that markk0274 doesn't respond to a single thing I'm writing. I hope somebody else finds it useful :D

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm not going to waste any more time on ignorant people wishing to stay that way.

Promise?

But something seems to be wrong with it as you seem to spend more time writing on the computer spouting noise instead of engaged with music.

I guess some are probably better at walking and chewing gum at the same time than others.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Why would they pick a speaker for the testing that has its own amplification for the lows - below 300Hz?

Haha, really good point :D

But to be fair, they mention that they've done similar tests with other setups and got the same result.

markk02474

Yeah, that would exclude amplifier LF damping factor and output impedance characteristics. Electrostats are generally a capacitive load unlike dynamic speakers which are mostly resistive loads. Hence they tested performance just on an uncommon type of speaker.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I hope you find sex more engaging and are not multitasking then too.

I'm not cancelling the trip with the twins...

And I hope you don't spend a lot of time thinking about my sex life... That's just weird.

Top Bottom