• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend affordable preamp with remote volume and 12V trigger

mfaughn

Hello all. I would like to find a good sounding, affordable (preferably < US$1K preamp that has the following features:
  • Sounds good.
  • IR remote volume control (preferably one that Amazon Fire Cube TV understands but if not, that's OK)
  • 12V trigger out
  • preferably sub outs or a second set of main outputs. Even better if it has a built in XO for the sub but I can live without that.
  • Low latency between power on and ready to pass signal (i.e. not 60 seconds of warm-up). The rest of my family can't be bothered to wait...sigh.
  • Balanced in/out would be nice but it isn't critical
If the Schiit Freya S or Saga S had a 12V out, I'd be looking at those. Used is fine. Tubes are probably out because I don't trust teens to turn them off when they are done with them. That said, tubes aren't completely out of the question.

FWIW, I don't need input switching, built in DAC, or phono pre. I have a DAC I like and I abandoned vinyl.

Right now, I can use the front end of my Cambridge Audio CXA61. It isn't bad but it is a lot of stuff that I don't need (DAC, amp, bluetooth, ...).

OP
mfaughn

mfaughn

Three good suggestions. Zpre3 and L70 are in contention. Main choice b/w them would be SQ. Zpre3 has sub out but I don't think that matters much. I'm running stereo subs anyway. L70 reviews are stellar but are all focused on use as a headphone amp. Would be nice to find something that confirms it is a good pre as well.

sambol

I use it as a preamp (computer → E30 II → L70 → Focal Shape), it works flawlessly.

OP
mfaughn

mfaughn

I use it as a preamp (computer → E30 II → L70 → Focal Shape), it works flawlessly.
Cool. I'm 95% decided to order an L70. Not sure why I'm hesitating on the last 5%. Probably because I've already bought too many toys lately...

Edit: reached 100%. Just ordered.

NemesisBaud

Cool. I'm 95% decided to order an L70. Not sure why I'm hesitating on the last 5%. Probably because I've already bought too many toys lately...

Edit: reached 100%. Just ordered.
I’m in the same boat. I have a topping e70 and need a preamp. Are you happy with your decision to use the L70 as a preamp?

OP
mfaughn

mfaughn

I’m in the same boat. I have a topping e70 and need a preamp. Are you happy with your decision to use the L70 as a preamp?
I actually bought one and never opened the box. I changed directions and went with a miniDSP Flex 8. DIRAC has been a game changer. The L70 is still in the plastic on the shelf. I guess I should sell it...

Top Bottom