• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend a Multifunction DAC...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To use with my iLoud MTMs which are XLR-only (really, that is their only input), and to avoid PC noise I want:
  • Optical in
  • Balanced XLR out
  • Good measurements (doesn't need to be SOTA)
  • Volume control
  • Clean headphone amp for IEM use
  • Don't want another remote on my desk
So far I have found the following:
  1. Schiit Modius (optical in, balanced XLR out, but no volume control and not a multifunction – no headphone amp)
  2. Loxjie D30 (optical in and volume control, but unbalanced RCA which needs converting to XLR and noise floor may too high for IEMs)
Any idea if there's something that combines the best of these, or should I get the Modius and give up on the volume control and just use my keyboard to adjust system volume? And get a separate headphone amp? I did see the Sabaj D5 but the output switching through the menu seems like it would get annoying. I want it to be easy to use without a remote. I noticed the SMSL SU-9 but it seems pointless since the Modius exists at half the price.

Thanks.

virtua

Topping EX5 might be a good option, but I'm not sure how much functionality is available without using the remote.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping EX5 might be a good option, but I'm not sure how much functionality is available without using the remote.
I'm not 100% against a remote, but like 75% against. Will use one if there's no choice. Remotes are adding up and the thing is within arm's reach anyway.

Great rec though, thanks! It looks really good.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
M500? But it has a remote.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/

e: Not tested here but: Teac UD-301-X? https://teac.jp/int/product/ud-301-x/spec

71sddvAmwvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61dZD676ExL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @virtua. I hadn't seen the EX5 because it is not on the review list: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Regarding the balanced XLR outputs:
I didn't need them either until I replaced my monitors (Tannoy Reveal 402 with 2 pin power input) with iLoud MTMs (with an earthed 3 pin power connection). As soon as the MTMs were plugged in, I got a ground loop and lots of noise out the speakers. The gound loop allows noise from my PC to travel through the USB cable ground to my DAC, then out through RCA ground to my HP amp, then through RCA ground to my monitors and out through the earth connection on the monitors.

I'm currently running the DAC over an optical connection to solve the issue. Replacing my DAC with one with a balanced connection should also solve the issue (audio signal and ground are separate with a balanced connection). So investing in a balanced output could save you money and pain later on.
I'm looking at it for the same reason. I used to be able to solve it using optical, but I moved my desk and now I'm picking up PC noise again somehow. So going all-out with optical and balanced XLR out to the iLoud MTM's should solve it.

And, it's a great time to be shopping as this just came out, undercutting many others.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I did see the Sabaj D5 but the output switching through the menu seems like it would get annoying. I want it to be easy to use without a remote.
Thanks.
The Sabaj is a great device. The inputs and outputs can be switched directly with the remote control, each has its own button.
Especially with the Sabaj D5, I noticed the operation with the remote control very positively and intuitively.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-29 um 23.21.02.png

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @virtua. I hadn't seen the EX5 because it is not on the review list: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Regarding the balanced XLR outputs:

I'm looking at it for the same reason. I used to be able to solve it using optical, but I moved my desk and now I'm picking up PC noise again somehow. So going all-out with optical and balanced XLR out to the iLoud MTM's should solve it.

And, it's a great time to be shopping as this just came out, undercutting many others.

I can confirm that my ground loop issue was resolved with the introduction of the EX5 and i've reverted to using a USB connection from my PC.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sabaj is a great device. The inputs and outputs can be switched directly with the remote control, each has its own button.
Especially with the Sabaj D5, I noticed the operation with the remote control very positively and intuitively.

View attachment 150302

Switching on the EX5 works well from the remote: 'Left' and 'Right' to select input, 'Headphone' button activates headphones, 'Line Out button' switches betwen XLR, RCA, XLR + RCA.

I have the RC-21 remote which has an aluminium body and feels a bit more 'premium' than the supplied remote, it also works better on a desk as it has a flat underside...

1630320599755.png

khark

I used a Soundblaster G6 to connect to my MTMs with optical in and a cheap 3.5 to 2x XLR cable for testing purposes and it worked suprpisingly well. No noise whatsoever, volume control from the computer (keyboard), headphones sounded fantastic, tiny footprint, very low cost solution etc. Frankly for a lot of people the G6 would be an ideal all-around budget choice and would save them a lot of space and money. I use a Su-9 with the MTMs now, but i wouldn't have a problem going back to the G6 for reasons of convenience. Such a great little versatile device.

Top Bottom