• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to Toslink convertor?

buddyrich33

Any decent RCA to optical toslink converters? I am using a Benchmark DAC1 Pre as my Pre/DAC and already use the RCA inputs for a turntable but would like to also hook up a tape deck as well and only have optical in...

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What’s your definition of decent? For use with a tape deck I would use one of the cheap things for like $18 on Amazon. Something like this: Musou RCA Analog to Digital Optical Toslink Coaxial Audio Converter Adapter with Optical Cable https://a.co/d/4URfHx5

Are you looking for something high quality?

OP
B

buddyrich33

What’s your definition of decent? For use with a tape deck I would use one of the cheap things for like $18 on Amazon. Something like this: Musou RCA Analog to Digital Optical Toslink Coaxial Audio Converter Adapter with Optical Cable https://a.co/d/4URfHx5

Are you looking for something high quality?
Not really... Its for an old tapedeck. Nothing fancy. I guess that could work, as could an RCA switch (which I didn't think of).

Ianmcc

Hi, I bought a $10 "Optical >RCA Converter" to connect a Samsung TV to an older NAD amp. Dissapointed in sound quality. Muffled sound and loss of high freq/treble. Sampling rate is 96KHz. Some of the better quality converters sample at 192 KHz. Would this make a meaningful difference? (it's not the TV, I previously used a Sony amp with optical inputs and the sound quality was excellent).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I came across this a while back:

I have no personal experience with it.

Ianmcc

Thx. Can defn find a few with 192 kHz, just wondering if it's worth the extra $. Will it improve the sound quality significantly? (understand you can't answer this but hopefully someone else has experience to share)

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Can defn find a few with 192 kHz
The OP asked for a ADC (Analog to Digital)
You are looking for a DAC (Digital to Analog)
All it needs is to support the sample rate used by the TV. Wouldn't be surprised if it is 48 kHz as this is typical for video.

Ianmcc

The OP asked for a ADC (Analog to Digital)
You are looking for a DAC (Digital to Analog)
All it needs is to support the sample rate used by the TV. Wouldn't be surprised if it is 48 kHz as this is typical for video.
AhAh, thanks very much! I had used a 20 yr old Sony amp (STR db 830) with the TV previously, built in optical input, sound was excellent. Not sure what's causing the quality loss now. Not such a big deal.

Top Bottom