• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA Sucks - Why Do We Use It?

garbulky

Major Contributor
Because:

a) The output XLRs are already being used to connect to my monitors. So I needed to use the TRS outputs.

b) On the input side, I could have gone either way. The cable I'm using happened to come with TRS on that side, so I just went with it.

It's nice to have the flexibility to use either depending upon what cable happens to be handy.
What's on the other end of the TRS out? What kind of gear would you use? Would it have a TRS input?
FWIW I also use both the XLR and single ended outputs of my DC-1. XL fully balanced to XPA-1 and single ended out to the basx a-100 as headphone amp. Emotiva is coming out with a balanced headphone amp. When they do something like the dual XLR + TRS outputs would come in handy. THough I suppose I would need an adapter to go TRS to XLR.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What's on the other end of the TRS out? What kind of gear would you use? Would it have a TRS input?
FWIW I also use both the XLR and single ended outputs of my DC-1. XL fully balanced to XPA-1 and single ended out to the basx a-100 as headphone amp. Emotiva is coming out with a balanced headphone amp. When they do something like the dual XLR + TRS outputs would come in handy. THough I suppose I would need an adapter to go TRS to XLR.

It's going to the inputs and outputs (XLR) of a Revox PR-99 reel to reel.

Picture not of my deck, but it's the same config:

pr99e.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
Better quality(well known brands) RCA connectors have not been a problem for me.

E.g. Cliff

Plain Jane stuff from Ebay can be problematic as can those anonymous parts used in lesser quality equipment. Connectors are one item where cost-cutting gives a significant return at the expense of functionality and durability. It is difficult for the consumer to know what they are getting - this applies across-the-board and not only to RCAs.

I still use those cheap RCA interconnects that came with Brand-Name gear over the past 50 years yet have had very nice and showy looking stuff from retail stores lose contact integrity very quickly.

Last edited:

garbulky

Major Contributor
It's going to the inputs and outputs (XLR) of a Revox PR-99 reel to reel.

Picture not of my deck, but it's the same config:

pr99e.jpg
You just went up a bunch of cool points! Look at those connections! I don't even know what capstan speed or the input labelled "now" is! So I take it you are using a TRS to XLR adapter?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You just went up a bunch of cool points! Look at those connections! I don't even know what capstan speed or the input labelled "now" is! So I take it you are using a TRS to XLR adapter?

In that picture, somebody wrote the word 'Now' underneath the Monitor output...I have no idea why.

No, I'm not using a TRS to XLR adapter. If you look at the picture of the cable at the top of the thread, all of the channels are TRS at one and and XLR (male or female) at the other.

WoodyLuvr

I don't even know what capstan speed or the input labelled "now" is!
In that picture, somebody wrote the word 'Now' underneath the Monitor output...I have no idea why.
Might have been a poor choice of words referring to monitoring repro vs input... input mode only monitored the input stage before it went to tape, prior to the pre and de-emphasis filters while repro monitored input, tape, and output stages. Does your Revox offer monitor selection between input and repro? If so, perhaps the "NOW" might have been used as a reminder that this was either monitoring right off the playback or record head based on selection???

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Might have been a poor choice of words referring to monitoring repro vs input... input mode only monitored the input stage before it went to tape, prior to the pre and de-emphasis filters while repro monitored input, tape, and output stages. Does your Revox offer monitor selection between input and repro? If so, perhaps the "NOW" might have been used as a reminder that this was either monitoring right off the playback or record head based on selection???

Yes, output (2 x XLR) can be selected between repro and input.

But the aux monitor output (DIN, unbalanced) also switches accordingly....so I don't see how the word "Now" helps....

In any case, that picture wasn't from my deck, so no clue as to who / why wrote that...never seen it on any other.

My other labels are also a bit different on the Tape Speed and Capstan / Serial controller, so that must be from a different revision (mine is a Mark II).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Doesn't NAIM still use a 7 pin DIN as their proprietary analog connector of choice?

Wouldn't surprise me if they did. I honestly haven't looked at their gear for years. All the more reason to steer clear of their stuff if they still use the damn thing.

Also, tonearm cables also often use a mini DIN connector on the arm side.

Yes, often partially proprietary 4 pin with or without a locating detent.

I am scarred from soldering DIN plugs in years gone by- I don't miss them at all.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Wouldn't surprise me if they did. I honestly haven't looked at their gear for years. All the more reason to steer clear of their stuff if they still use the damn thing.

Yep, it's still there (although it doesn't have 7 pins):

naim_dac_v-1_back.jpg

Also a mysterious floating / chassis ground selection switch....that's something I've never seen user selectable before.

Last edited:

WoodyLuvr

naim_dac_v-1_back.jpg

Also a mysterious floating / chassis ground selection switch....that's something I've never seen user selectable before.
Should always be set to chassis unless... you are using already grounded analogue signal outputs from a source then you would set it to float.

From the Naim DAC-V1 manual:

"Select the Chassis position unless the DAC-V1 is connected in a hi-fi system incorporating another earthed source component, or mains “hum” is audible through the loudspeakers."

Some analog source components, such as a Naim CD Player, already have the signal earth connected to an electrical ground which creates a system-wide signal earth reference. To avoid a potentially noisy system earth loop you set your DAC-V1 to float... thus ensuring that there is only one signal input set to earth ground.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Ah Wombat, he was not electrocuted, as he survived. It was merely a shock... :)

A matter of current(micro/milliamps), duration and timing re inducing heart fibrillation.

Being pedantic, electrocution applies to injurious effect as well as death. I studied this at length in my professional practise, in this area. Heart fibrillation is somewhat unpredictable in various circumstances. Elvis could well have died. :cool:

DON'T USE EARTH-LIFT.

Get earth-lift equipment modified for safety.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Earth Lift is safe!!!! The safety earth should ALWAYS remain connected, all the earth lift switch does is to separate audio earth / ground from safety earth. I repeat, safety earth, connecting the case to mains earth must ALWAYS remain connected.

Earth lift switches are very common on pro equipment.

S

Wombat

Master Contributor
Earth Lift is safe!!!! The safety earth should ALWAYS remain connected, all the earth lift switch does is to separate audio earth / ground from safety earth. I repeat, safety earth, connecting the case to mains earth must ALWAYS remain connected.

Earth lift switches are very common on pro equipment.

S

Common is due to expediency, not safety. It is mainly due to the US(or others) mains plugs not being polarity dedicated and no double insulation on some products.
In most parts of the world the active and neutral pins of AC plugs are constrained by angular configuration or by mechanical reference to an earth pin. The standard 2-pin parallel blade does not achieve this - thus earth-lift. Dangerous quick-fix.

In my engineering student days I was forcefully thrown backwards about 6ft. when using a 'floating' US signal generator with an earthed British CRO and got a hand-to-hand shock. I obviously survived that shocking trauma but it made me aware of earthing and polarity issues with equipment.

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Common is due to expediency, not safety. It is mainly due to the US(or others) mains plugs not being polarity dedicated and no double insulation on some products.
In most parts of the world the active and neutral pins of AC plugs are constrained by angular configuration or by mechanical reference to an earth pin. The standard 2-pin parallel blade does not achieve this - thus earth-lift. Dangerous quick-fix.

In my engineering student days I was forcefully thrown backwards about 6ft. when using a 'floating' US signal generator with an earthed British CRO and got a hand-to-hand shock. I obviously survived that shocking trauma but it made me aware of earthing and polarity issues with equipment.
NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

The chassis of the equipment is NOT EVER lifted from safety earth, only the audio ground/earth is lifted from the chassis. That leaves the equipment ALWAYS safely earthed.. If any manufacturer is daft enough actually to remove the safety earth, then they should be taken out and shot.

Double insulated equipment doesn't have an earth, so there's no safety earth to remove, but there may be instances where the case, if metal, should be left floating from the audio earth such as when the equipment is mounted in a metal rack which itself is earthed, as it should be. The polarity or reversability of the mains plugs is completely irrelevant.

It used to be common (but very dangerous) practice to remove the safety earth from 'scopes or other items of test gear that didn't have an earth lift switch, and indeed, what you experienced wasn't that rare. Soldering irons were another one for removing the earth, so one could solder onto live circuits without them going bang.

I still read on some forums where people stupidly suggest removing the safety earth to get rid of hum loops. :facepalm:

S.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

It's lifting the signal gnd away from mains earth not disconnecting the mains earth to the chassis. Perfectly safe. However it is an example of the "suckiness" of single ended component interconnection.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Should always be set to chassis unless... you are using already grounded analogue signal outputs from a source then you would set it to float.

From the Naim DAC-V1 manual:

"Select the Chassis position unless the DAC-V1 is connected in a hi-fi system incorporating another earthed source component, or mains “hum” is audible through the loudspeakers."

Some analog source components, such as a Naim CD Player, already have the signal earth connected to an electrical ground which creates a system-wide signal earth reference. To avoid a potentially noisy system earth loop you set your DAC-V1 to float... thus ensuring that there is only one signal input set to earth ground.

Why does only Naim (that I've seen) have this user configurable?

Top Bottom