• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ray Manzarek from The Doors discusses making music

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
The guy has absolutely no reason to be Humble. But he is ! Arguably a member of one of the most influential Bands of our time. I still consider them the greatest band of all time in my life. Their music still makes me smile and remember great times. Thanks for sharing this video. ;)

OP
GeorgeWalk

GeorgeWalk

The guy has absolutely no reason to be Humble. But he is ! Arguably a member of one of the most influential Bands of our time. I still consider them the greatest band of all time in my life. Their music still makes me smile and remember great times. Thanks for sharing this video. ;)
His stories are great. One of the other videos he talks about taking the bass line from "Blueberry Hill" and using it in "Light My Fire". I was shocked, as soon as he said it I was blown away.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had one of those once in a lifetime moments of crossing paths with Ray Manzerak. It was in the early 2000's, (03-05). I was living in Atlanta and a huge Van Gogh exhibit came to the High Museum, where I was a member. As a member, I got to go as often as I wanted without paying each time. I would go at odd times to avoid the huge crowds that came to see the show. Some paintings would have crowds around it, so I always went to the ones with no one. As I'm looking at a Van Gogh self portrait, alone, I noticed someone looking at it from the corner of my eye, about 6 feet away. I turned and it was Ray Manzerak. He turned to me, I smiled and reached out to shake his hand and I said "Thank You". After a momentary pause, he smiled and shook my hand. Over the course of the next hour walking around the show, we crossed paths a few times, never spoke again, but smiled each time and acknowledged the moment. Looking at a Van Gogh, meeting a legend... being the only two looking at the same Van Gogh... at the same time... that was a carpe diem moment for me... even 20 years later.

Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Self-portrait_with_bandaged_ear_%281889%2C_Courtauld_Institute%29.jpg

MCH

Major Contributor
I really enjoy these interviews. We are living a golden era with YouTube + aging classic rock legends that feel free to talk and tell their stories like any random normal guys they actually are.

I remember one with Ray Davies of the Kinks that tells that he can walk around London with absolute freedom and nobody recognizes him anymore :)

Randy Bessinger

Forum Donor
This is interesting.
Wow, that was so great. My college roommate who went on to be a great Dr. to the poorer community in Boston absolutely loved the Doors. I saw him years ago after I hadn’t seen him for a long time (I was in town to run the Boston Marathon). He said you know I still love the Doors music. Great guy and a great band.

teched58

When I was in Rasputin's near Union Square (San Francisco), shortly after Ray died in May 2013 a store employee had written "Ray Manzarek RIP" and taped it to the plastic index-y type card that marked where the Doors albums were in the huge CD section that they had upstairs. (I was never so scared of being trapped in an elevator in my life as I was at that Rasputin's. FYI, that location closed in early 2016.)

Top Bottom