• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rapinoe has courage.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i'm Dutch an yes for the 4th time we loose a World Champion Football Final. Never did understand the name soccer it is only been used in the US as far as i know. This game is played with the foot so in europe it is called for more than 100 years Football. Not to go into any politics discussion but i must say one thing about the restraint & polite CNN Rapinoe interview from yesterday. You need to have more courage to give your opinion on CNN than taking a world cup penalty.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/09/us/megan-rapinoe-interview/index.html

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, learned something new! Had no idea Soccer name started in UK. I thought it was our invention.
It's a common misconception, soccer is used in the UK by some people, just not often in my experience. When we heard Americans using soccer I doubt anyone over here needed to look it up.

Krunok

Major Contributor
So, in 1863 in UK "the rules of association football were codified in the United Kingdom by the Football Association".

Meanwhile, in 1863 in America President Lincoln issues the second executive order of the Emancipation Proclamation, specifying ten Confederate states in which slaves were to be freed.

It's funny when you put it in that perspective, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm all for investing in woman's football , marketing it and encouraging young girls into sport and having female role models to look up to in the public eye.

But you can't go demanding equal pay if you simply don't generate the income, that makes no sense to me. For that you'd have to take money out the men's game and that's inequality in my eyes and unfair.

But by all means maybe tax the revenue from the men's game which is immense and invest it in promoting the women's game. I've got no issue with that.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But you can't go demanding equal pay if you simply don't generate the income, that makes no sense to me. For that you'd have to take money out the men's game and that's inequality in my eyes and unfair.

Not so clear in the US, which is where the demands are being made:

U.S. women’s soccer games have generated more revenue than U.S. men’s games over the past three years.

That’s according to audited financial statements from the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) obtained by The Wall Street Journal. In 2016, women’s games generated $1.9 million more in revenue than men’s games. From 2016 to 2018, women’s games generated approximately $50.8 million in revenue, compared with $49.9 million for men’s games.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Not so clear in the US, which is where the demands are being made:
Fair enough then , they should get more than their male counterparts in the U.S .

I had no idea this was the case , you never really hear about the woman's game over here the MLS has a higher profile.

D700

I'm a huge NFL fan, played football in high school, peewee....got to say the sport is going to be a dead end, literally. The more they learn about CTE, the more it seems likely the sport will either need to change drastically (to point of not being fun) or end all together. Soccer is the future I believe...and its gender neutral as a bonus.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
But by all means maybe tax the revenue from the men's game which is immense and invest it in promoting the women's game. I've got no issue with that.

I do. Want to run a sports league? Great, go run it, and if you're successful, you'll be richer than when you started. But don't take the money out of my meagre earnings to finance your business, especially if your business is putting together entertainment that fewer people want to see, and then whine about the unfairness.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a huge NFL fan, played football in high school, peewee....got to say the sport is going to be a dead end, literally. The more they learn about CTE, the more it seems likely the sport will either need to change drastically (to point of not being fun) or end all together. Soccer is the future I believe...and its gender neutral as a bonus.
almost +1 ... except that I never played American football

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
almost +1 ... except that I never played American football

It's a great game both for playing and watching. I suspect that if you didn't grow up with it, it's somewhat incomprehensible, which is why all attempts to extend it outside the US have not succeeded.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a great game both for playing and watching. I suspect that if you didn't grow up with it, it's somewhat incomprehensible, which is why all attempts to extend it outside the US have not succeeded.
I used to enjoy it when they showed it on channels I get, and I don't recall it being mystifying at all. But it was never consistently shown, plus it has the problem that if it gets popular in the UK watching the games without spoilers would be a challenge.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a huge NFL fan.. Didn't grow with it however , discovered it in my late teens.. Watch soccer a bit more these days but not as much as the NFL. The game has changed with the issues of CTE and the ensuing rule changes (you fart too close to the QB and you are ejected!! :D). It is still fun to me but not as much as before ...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
you fart too close to the QB and you are ejected!!

It depends on the QB. Muss Tom Brady's hair by running by him too closely and creating a breeze, 15 yard penalty. Smash Ben Roethlisberger in the face and break his nose, it's incidental contact and no foul.

Top Bottom