• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions

OP
Z

zag55

I don't understand. How does the minix play the CD, which comes from Philips

OP
Z

zag55

ok, but do I have to have a player on the PC to listen to Philips CDs or not?

staticV3

Master Contributor
ok, but do I have to have a player on the PC to listen to Philips CDs or not?
You need software to record the audio and play it back again. Audacity for example.

You also need a DAC if you want analog output from the PC.
Most PCs have a DAC built-in. This is called onboard audio.

If your PC does not have any analog outputs, then you can buy an external DAC to add those.

OP
Z

zag55

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I'll try again. I would like to listen to CDs with jriver as the player. But since the Minix (my PC) doesn't have an internal CD player, I have to add an external one. Is it possible to use the Philips?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I'll try again. I would like to listen to CDs with jriver as the player. But since the Minix (my PC) doesn't have an internal CD player, I have to add an external one. Is it possible to use the Philips?
Sure. You can read CDs with the BDP9500, send the audio to your Minix with the Hifime UR23, record that audio using Audacity, Audition, etc, then use JRiver to play back this audio on the Minix's built-in DAC, or on an external DAC.

This process would be greatly simplified by a CD/DVD/BD Reader that has a USB output.

That way, JRiver should be able to read the audio directly from the CD and you could skip the UR23 and Audacity recording step.

OP
Z

zag55

ok but I can't listen to the CD in real time?

staticV3

Master Contributor
ok but I can't listen to the CD in real time?
You can, but not with the BDP9500 via JRiver afaik.

You can listen to the BDP9500 in real time using the Sound Control Panel, or you can listen via JRiver in real time using another CD Reader.

Top Bottom