• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

question regarding power supplies for class D amps

cyclops

I real noobie question here, when looking at a power supply for an amp like the Fosi TB10D or the Aiyima A07. Is there any difference or preference between say 24 volt 15 amp and 36 volt 10 amp.
and since I have to ask such a question showing my ignorance on the matter, if I was looking at a Mean Well Power Supply, how safe is it for me took hook it up. To me it appears easy enough, but I realize I could very well be missing something and I should just stay with a power brick. Thank you

AudiOhm

I think you need to review the specifications for each unit.

Recommended supplies:
Fosi TB10D - 32V 5A (range 18V to 48V).
Aiyima A07 - 48V 7.5A (range not specified).

Either power supply will work with the Fosi TB10D.
Since there is no voltage range specification for the Aiyima A07 I would stick with the suggested Voltage and Current.

The amps will run at the voltage the power supply is rated at.

The Amperage will all depend on the volume level you play them at...

Ohms

OP
C

cyclops

Thank you for replying < I am sorry, i should of perhaps phrased the question differently.
What. if any difference to performance , and if so how, in layman's terms would these 2 scenarios effect these amps
(sound quality, over heating, longevity, sound stage etc)
24 volts 15 amp = 360 watts
36 volts 10 amps = 360 watts

That is to say both equal watts, but different ways to get there
do the different ratio's of volts and amps have different effects , even though the end watts are the same??

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for replying < I am sorry, i should of perhaps phrased the question differently.
What. if any difference to performance , and if so how, in layman's terms would these 2 scenarios effect these amps
(sound quality, over heating, longevity, sound stage etc)
24 volts 15 amp = 360 watts
36 volts 10 amps = 360 watts

That is to say both equal watts, but different ways to get there
do the different ratio's of volts and amps have different effects , even though the end watts are the same??
Itll depend on the speakers. For example for the same power 8ohm speakers need more volts and 4 ohm speakers need more current. If youre looking to get 180 watts per channel, the 8ohm speakers will need 38V and 4ohm speakers will need 14A

Top Bottom