• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning monarch in British history, dead at 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Queen is dead, long live the King.

I learned a lot about Elizabeth II (as I am sure many American's have) by watching The Crown and reading Wikipedia articles about events depicted therein.

Martin

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
FcJ-4dQWYAEjii7

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Much respect, and my condolences to all of her subjects. I'm only slightly older than the length of her reign. She always carried herself in a way that all could both respect and admire. She will undoubtably be greatly missed. A sad day indeed and the world is poorer for her passing.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
She was a wonderful queen and was devoted to her commonwealth and as I am part of that it concerns me. Now in time we will have a king.
1662728947098.jpeg

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here in Canada. I expect a republican push now but that is best debated another day.
Perhaps: Canadians are an increasingly diverse lot and ever fewer can claim British ancestry. The British Monarchy means not much to the majority today. (including a good many British descendants for the matter: me for one).

However as a parliamentary style democracy, Canada couldn't simply abolish the Monarchy: it would have to create the Office of President. In itself electing a President would create a good many tensions among diverse groups, beginning with and in particular French Canadians. Sticking with the British Monarch as titular head-of-state seems by far the most practical course to me. Personally I don't give a damn who the British Monarch happens to be, because it doesn't matter. God Save Charles III.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
A great loss indeed.
To be honest I always expected that Charles would refuse in favour of prince William.

He and Camilla seem more at ease with a low key presence, while William was given a more prominent public presence.

Anyway I was wrong.
Peace to her and her family

DanielT

Major Contributor
R.I.P.

Even Six Pistol's:
Screenshot_2022-09-09_170512.jpg

Beloved? Sure::)

For those who don't know:

Edit:
Of course the Queen had nothing to do with the economic status in England when Six Pistols wrote this song, but when you're young and damn pissed off, you shake your fists, in all directions.
The Queen had not created, nor could she change that economic status. The royal family has no real political power. BUT I must say that Queen Elizabeth was a very good symbol for England!:)

Cute::)

SEI_108055853-9f3b.jpg

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Perhaps: Canadians are an increasingly diverse lot and even fewer can claim British ancestry. The British Monarchy means not much to the majority today. (including a good many British descendants for the matter: me for one).

However as a parliamentary style democracy, Canada couldn't simply abolish the Monarchy: it would have to create the Office of President. In itself electing a President would create a good many tensions among diverse groups, beginning with and in particular French Canadians. Sticking with the British Monarch as titular head-of-state seems by far the most practical course to me. Personally I don't give a damn who the British Monarch happens to be, because it doesn't matter. God Save Charles III.
It makes us different from those who dwell south of the border. Worth keeping just for that, IMO.

Midwest Blade

Perhaps: Canadians are an increasingly diverse lot and even fewer can claim British ancestry. The British Monarchy means not much to the majority today. (including a good many British descendants for the matter: me for one).

Expat, now living in Chicago. I see the question of becoming republics on the horizon for a few of the Commonwealth countries including Australia and a some of the Caribbean island nations, Barbados recently went their own way. Charles III and probably William in a few years will be dealing with the issue in the near and distant future. Even Scotland may vote to sail their own ship in the next few years although I hear that the new PM Truss is planning to sink that idea.

As a Canadian I saw a fellowship amongst the Commonwealth and being a Constitutional Monarchy gave our country a sense of our origins. Who knows where this will all lead.

“The Queen is dead, long live the King.”

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Even Scotland may vote to sail their own ship in the next few years although I hear that the new PM Truss is planning to sink that idea.

She can try and attempt to sink it, it will not turn out well for her and her Brexit loving lackeys, the Tory party is utterly detested by a majority of us in Scotland

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Truly the end of an era. Britian's longest-reigning monarch. Ever.
Couple of interesting bits of "trivia" that you've likely heard (but, in case you haven't...):
  • The first PM to serve under Elizabeth II's reign was Churchill, born in 1874. The last, of course, is the newly minted PM Liz Truss, who was born in 1975.
  • The US has been an independent nation for (give or take) 246 years.
    Good Queen Bess was Queen of England for 70 of those years. 70/246 => 28.5% of the United States' history
Saw this on the Polk forums and thought it was very sweet (irrespective of the typo in it).

xbj1kb5en79l.png

The US has been a nation for (give or take) 246 years.
Good Queen Bess was Queen of England for 70 of those years.

70/246 => 28.5% of our nation's history

Two more indelible images from the Polk forum.

89fuix8oel7i.png

cntlclgyifaa.jpg

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Throw in some elegance and sophistication and people ignore the history and the lasting impacts of colonialism.
Same with companies nowadays. It's a different kind of collonialism; so imo its persistent throughout history.

We may not be always aware that for example chocolate involves a lot of slavery. And what about gold mines, cobalt or mining for gem stones? Not an honest pay and paying for many conflicts/wars. And what about oil and gas? Probably not on our minds when we buy an Iphone, chocolate, coffee or take our car for a drive.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is we can overanalyse things and not see the good someone does within certain limits. Imo its more to do with taking care of others and not only focussing on yourself. In that regards the Queen was a bigger positive influence than many realise.

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
She can try and attempt to sink it, it will not turn out well for her and her Brexit loving lackeys, the Tory party is utterly detested by a majority of us in Scotland
Talking to people down here in East Anglia, we all think it will strengthen the SNP’s case. Everyone here I know wants to be liberated from Scotland. Scotland is and has been for many years an economic basket case. If their budget deficit was reflected proportionally across the UK, the lights would already be out all over the UK.

Midwest Blade

Yep, Brexit is a real stinker, might indeed be time for Scotland to become independent and for Ireland to unify.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The BBC said that the news about people not being able to afford energy bills was 'insignificant' compared to this. That's what kind of country we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom