• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning monarch in British history, dead at 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The late queen's mother liked gin.
Gin'n tonic is a most excellent summer beverage! Very refreshing and the ice melts well in it. (Still tastes good if mixed properly when using lots of ice.)

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A great loss indeed.
To be honest I always expected that Charles would refuse in favour of prince William.

He and Camilla seem more at ease with a low key presence, while William was given a more prominent public presence.

Anyway I was wrong.
Peace to her and her family
I wasn't surprised; I believe that Charles share much of that sense of duty that his mother had. I guessed, rightly at least to his point, that he wouldn't sluff off that duty for the easy life of a rich private person.

Nor is celebrity what it's about. William can and should have public duties, (assuming a modicum of the same sense of duty his grandmother had); perhaps increasingly so given his father is in his '70s. But celebrity of the Royals is mainly a phenomenon of the mass media era; before that Royals were rarely seen in public except for high ceremonial occasions. today celebrity of the Royals seems inevitable and they must acknowledge this.

However ultimately their constitutional role is paramount. Britain, (or Australia or Canada), could become republic but those countries would need, instead, to have presidents to fill a constitutional niche in parliamentary-style democracies. That would solve the celebrity problem for Royals Who is the President of Germany? Who of Israel? Who knows and who cares?

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
_121771265_gettyimages-1344275541.jpg.webp

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That pic really shows the age difference although both in their senior years.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Sounds like you are culturally English?

Fighting talk indeed ;), but first we must drink whisky, Dads side is Clan Lamont of Dunoon, after the 1646 massacre at Dunoon where the Campbells slaughtered 200+ they escaped to Galloway and my direct ancestors are noted in the record office as blacksmiths for the Parish of Anworth under Samuel Rutherford (minister) at the time of uprising against Cromwell and against the local lords of Maxwell who were for for King Charles 1st (very apt as dad served his time as blacksmith), mums side is MacInnes of Kintyre (farmer/fishermen) which is a weird circumstance as Clan Lamont and Clan MacInnes were allies with their respective kingdoms close to each other. Mum had her DNA taken a few years ago as part of a Glasgow Uni study into the genealogy of early settlers in Argyll and they found a trace back to 2000BC on the isle of IONA so she has the honour of being able to trace her line back to the original Picts who inhabited the west coast.

Unfortunately no noble bloodlines in either family were found but it’s cool to know exactly who your descendants were 500 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom