• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quadral Plus Nine or Magnat Signature 707 ? help )

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

Would like to order some new floor speakers.
My actual setup : Topping LA90 + AK4499 Gustard DAC
Source : Audio HD Streaming
Living room : 30M2

PS : I am actually using some XTZ 99.38MKII, 100% Seas with the Beryllium Tweeters made un USA by Truextent®and the new XTZ Mcap Supreme Crossover.

Any experience with these speakers ?

180629_WEB-1200x1200-150-PLATINUM_0010_171117_QUADRAL_Rendering_final.jpg

180629_WEB-1200x1200-150-PLATINUM_0022_PLATINUM_seven-wht-front-pair-HR.jpg

Magnat-Siganture700-Beauty-chassis-white.jpg

raest

i don't have any personal experience with either, but when i was shopping for new speakers two months ago, both were in my shortlists for a while, especially the Quadral as it can be found for 50% or more off of retail. considering i was buying sight unseen with no possibility to audition, i had to rely on measurements, and iirc the Quadrals were a bit lacking (will have to find them again) while the Magnat signature series seemed pretty good at least on axis (can't remember if this was the exact model in my final shortlist), but i ultimately dropped them because of the resale value if i decided i wasn't satisfied

i'll try to find the measurement links tomorrow if i still have them in my bookmarks

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the Quadral is a real 4-way speaker. Looks like a 3-way to me with 2 woofers in parallel or series.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with those exacts models firsthand. I did retail Magnat for some years and found it to be durable, bright and the sound was decent too.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think the Quadral is a real 4-way speaker. Looks like a 3-way to me with 2 woofers in parallel or series.
Not the Quardal but the Magnat ist above presented as a 4-way speaker due to its super tweeter.

AwesomeSauce2015

On the pic of the quadral, it seems kind of weird that the woofers would be in the same volume of air as the tweeter. That's basically asking for leaks to occur, and given that the "mids" are separately isolated, I don't see why they wouldn't isolate the tweeter.
If the designer didn't bother to fix that issue, then I can't expect them to have done a good job elsewhere...

About the Magnat, the "Hi-Res Audio" and 2-way tweeter just screams snake oil (to me). GR Research did something with the Sony bookshelf and his conclusion (IIRC) was that the 2-way tweeter should instead be used as a tweeter and the bigger one is a filler driver, ie, a second midrange.
Basically, any speaker with a 2-way tweeter and the "Hi-Res Audio" badge on it does not pass the sniff test for me...

Now, both of them will probably sound fine, but you could probably do better. (KEF, JBL, etc)
Disclosure: I have not heard either of those speakers, or anything by those brands. They could very well be incredible speakers. However, they both seem to have some design issues (in my book), and I wouldn't buy either of them.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thank you friends for these tips) very nice !
I'm wondering if in the end I wouldn't be better off keeping my XTZ 99.38MKII with my Seas Beryllium upgrade kit and my Crossover Mcap Supreme ?

These speakers are made with a 6.5 Seas Excel for the mediums, a 10 Seas Prestige for the Bass and the T29B001 Beryllium for the tweeters (1500 euros, top line from Seas), checkout : I know that the price is not always a guarantee of quality from experience....

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
i don't have any personal experience with either, but when i was shopping for new speakers two months ago, both were in my shortlists for a while, especially the Quadral as it can be found for 50% or more off of retail. considering i was buying sight unseen with no possibility to audition, i had to rely on measurements, and iirc the Quadrals were a bit lacking (will have to find them again) while the Magnat signature series seemed pretty good at least on axis (can't remember if this was the exact model in my final shortlist), but i ultimately dropped them because of the resale value if i decided i wasn't satisfied

i'll try to find the measurement links tomorrow if i still have them in my bookmarks

Question please : Would you refer to which other model in a budget of 3000€ per pair? (given my current configuration, mentioned above)

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Question please : Would you refer to which other model in a budget of 3000€ per pair? (given my current configuration, mentioned above)
I did a search for Magnat 707 and I found them for under 2k and that without any haggling. I imagine I could buy a pair for around 1200.

For 3k you have more options. I would go with Amphion 3LS or Kef 7 (I've seen even 11 for that price). Revel has good speakers in that range, I had the opportunity to buy 208 for 3k. There are many other options better than the Magnat and the Quadral. Remember that list prices for speakers have a lot of leeway for dealer discount.

As for Magnat vs Quadral, I've heard Magnat that sounds good but no Quadral that sounds that good, they have a metallic sound up to Chromium. Perhaps their Aurum range is better.

PS: in my experience Magnat has great bass while Quadral's quoted figures are on the fantasy side.

Last edited:

raest

in the end i've gone with the KEF R7 cause i found them brand new for ~2000€ :)

i was also considering a pair of Canton Reference 8K which i found for just under 3000€ (imho better than the Quadral. the midrange distortion is overblown by a user here), and Scansonic MB3.5 and MB5 (the old versions, not the new ones redesigned internally by that new dude from Gamut) which can also be found on sale brand new for under 3k

Astojab

I have auditioned the Quadral Plus nine (and the 7 and 2 out of that range) against the Aurum Orkan 9 that I now own. The Nine plus are a unique experience. They have definetly less prounounced upper mids and highscompared to the Orkans BUT the base is something else. It fills the room differently than "normal" speakers or even Subwoofers and gave me a "live" feeling in terms of quantity. But especially drums sounded better with the Orkan.

Objectivly they don't measure flat. Here from stereo.de and Measurements from audio:
nine plus.JPG

So if measruing flat is a priority the suggested Kef r7 or the Magnat 707 are better (Measurments from Stereoplay):
mnagnat 707.JPG

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Flat measuring with additionally impressively high SPL capabilities is the cheap(er) Quadral Signum 90, a superb buy for 1000€ pair price
I auditioned these, hoping to find a steal, and honestly thought they were terrible. Obvious cabinet resonances, a shrill, metallic sound, no bass. On the last point in particular the producer's quoted response of 27Hz seems like a joke.

I would strongly urge anyone looking into these to listen first.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I auditioned these, hoping to find a steal, and honestly thought they were terrible. Obvious cabinet resonances, a shrill, metallic sound, no bass. On the last point in particular the producer's quoted response of 27Hz seems like a joke.
Weirdly I shortly have heard them too and my experience was very different. Bass perfomance with measured -3 dB at 39 Hz is very good for its class but we shouldn't forget that it depends a lot on the room and placement of both loudspeakers and listener.

I would strongly urge anyone looking into these to listen first.
Not only on these but every loudspeaker, especially till someone gets quite some experience in correlating measurements to listening characters.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Just took a look to the Crossover of the KER R3 and R7 and when we know that the crossover has a fundamental role, I wonder how such a poor quality Crossover justifies the price of such speakers....

In the end I realize that my XTZ Seas with the Crossover specially studied for Seas Excel and Seas Beryllium, has nothing to do with that of KEF ....

To go further, there are Crossovers of the quality of the XTZ rather in the reference KER series).
We usually see Crossovers of this quality in speakers over 5000 euros )

Icône de validation par la communauté

Checkout

XTZ Special Crossover (Mcaps Supreme, MOX resistors, Mundorf Air Coil) VS KEF R5 / R7 crossover

KER REFERENCE Serie Crossover

XDM

I've had the Magnat Signature 503 and that 'High-res audio' tweeter was harsh / shrill to my ears. Especially in the region of drums. After trying 2 different amplifiers with them (one Yamaha one Marantz) I sent them back in the end.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Putting back on what's left of my 'dealer hat' here, can you try to hear some local non-amplified music as a kind of reference? Over here, we have small jazz groups at local pubs and as well as enjoying a good beer now Summer's coming, getting a listen to 'raw' instruments can be an ear opener. I appreciate that recording these instruments involves losses, especially when modern producers with a huge mixing desk are let loose, but there's enough 1950's 'straight down the line' recordings of said music that was recorded well - and mastering of such work for 'digital' didn't involve crushing dynamics and messing with muddled mixes...

Many of my clients back then tried this and so many came back and told me it helped in their speaker choices, comparing safe warm 'phat toned' BeeBeeCee derivatives (said in a boomy bass voice) with shrill coarse and simply tinny/tinselly 'HiFi' squeakbox speakers which impress in a multi-speaker dem but which cause fatigue at home..

Hope this helps. The tests here of so many new monitors show that things are improving a lot in terms of integration and tonal balance. No need to spend a few grand on something you may not want to keep for long...

Top Bottom