• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Q Acoustics 5040 floorstanding speaker review by Erin

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Q Acoustics 5040 Floorstanding Speaker Review. 12-48 screenshot.png

Written review isn't online yet.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously tuned for near wall placement, horizontal and vertical directiviities are better than I had expected, even more the harmonic and multitone distortions at 96 dB so it could be improved with some equalisation:

Q Acoustics 5040 Floorstanding Speaker Review. 14-38 screenshot.png
Q Acoustics 5040 Floorstanding Speaker Review. 15-6 screenshot.png
Q Acoustics 5040 Floorstanding Speaker Review. 15-32 screenshot.png

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, bright. Like Klieg light bright.

KliegLights.jpg

Matt_Holland

I posted this in the comments section of the video:

This looks to be a well engineered speaker, albeit not one that’s measurements will appeal to the typically well informed subscribers to this channel.

My assumption is that this speaker is designed for small rooms hence the bass shelf to suit close wall positioning. The wide horizontal dispersion will help it sound “big” in small rooms.

The predicted in-room response shows a very typical treble boost which I think manufacturers deliberately include through fear of losing a short showroom demo to a competitor that delivers more superficial detail.

The poor vertical directivity could be avoided if this was a 2.5 way design but that would sacrifice midrange efficiency.

It looks great and the brand has a great reputation. I doubt this speaker will harm that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Baffles step will be happening at around 500-700Hz I’d say and looks to corrected for. The low frequency shelf is for close placement.
The only speakers I've seen that measure quite like that have been intended for soffit mounting.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile also measured them

EPDR down to 1.4 ohms, get yer Krells out lads.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well maybe someone likes that kind of thing. I'd be EQing the bass.

Matt_Holland

IMG_5622.png

The only speakers I've seen that measure quite like that have been intended for soffit mounting.
I agree it is a little strange. It’s like they detuned the port substantially. I think this kind of LF response shape is only easily achieved with a high Q driver that would normally be better suited to a closed box.

The KEF R3 Meta have a similar bass alignment to help with close wall positioning.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree it is a little strange. It’s like they detuned the port substantially. I think this kind of LF response shape is only easily achieved with a high Q driver that would normally be better suited to a closed box.

The KEF R3 Meta have a similar bass alignment to help with close wall positioning.
I sort of assumed KEF had a sub in mind, too. Maybe these do too?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I sort of assumed KEF had a sub in mind, too. Maybe these do too?
KEF does what's called an Extended Bass Shelf. It's distinctly different from what's going on here,

Matt_Holland

KEF does what's called an Extended Bass Shelf. It's distinctly different from what's going on here,
How so? It looks almost exactly the same except for the the shelf starts a bit higher in frequency with the QAs

dfuller

Major Contributor
How so? It looks almost exactly the same except for the the shelf starts a bit higher in frequency with the QAs
Oh it's totally different. EBS is basically just using a low port tuning in an attempt to use room gain to make the speaker's bass response more linear in-room, Q has what looks like a bog standard QB3 port behavior with the wrong driver.

Courtesy of Erin's Audio Corner... Notice how the KEF stays linear til it starts to roll off below Fs at 12dB/oct as you'd expect; then the port comes in to reinforce around 40hz, then it drops off more steeply below Fb.
1703886952805.png

And Q, courtesy of Stereophile... The speaker when sealed also rolls off around 12dB/oct below Fs, but that's not the behavior when the port is open - that's a typical port alignment. It's just shelved down around 200hz for some reason, even when measured as sealed.
1703887112584.jpeg

rynberg

Forum Donor
I posted this in the comments section of the video:

This looks to be a well engineered speaker, albeit not one that’s measurements will appeal to the typically well informed subscribers to this channel.

My assumption is that this speaker is designed for small rooms hence the bass shelf to suit close wall positioning. The wide horizontal dispersion will help it sound “big” in small rooms.

The predicted in-room response shows a very typical treble boost which I think manufacturers deliberately include through fear of losing a short showroom demo to a competitor that delivers more superficial detail.

The poor vertical directivity could be avoided if this was a 2.5 way design but that would sacrifice midrange efficiency.

It looks great and the brand has a great reputation. I doubt this speaker will harm that.
Do you own these or something? That's a lot of defense for a poorly engineered speaker. There are so much better performing choices at that price point from several manufacturers.

Matt_Holland

Do you own these or something? That's a lot of defense for a poorly engineered speaker. There are so much better performing choices at that price point from several manufacturers.
I agree.
What I’m saying is that these don’t appear to be badly designed, but very deliberately designed to achieve certain goals.
I wouldn’t buy them. But I’m sure they will sell well.

Top Bottom