• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PURIFI finally did a fully purified passive speaker design! The SPK 16 prototype is here - with a PTT tweeter

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding dispersion, what about auxillary speakers with delay?
Like 4 speakers at the back of the room and 2-3 in the front? Or maybe even a few on the ceiling? :cool:

Surround receivers have a lot of different programms to widen and enhance stereo image, some of them are actually not bad. I never liked the Yamaha DSP programms - I don't want to listen to music in the church or stadion. If that's needed it's on the recording anyways. But my Lexicon MC-10 has good upmix algorithms. Not for critical listening but enjoying music in the living room.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just don't call 'em horns. :cool:
Well, opinions on naming differ. But I reserve horn specifically for a waveguide that offers acoustic transformation. Even that gets hazy since at some high frequency all waveguides start to offer some, perhaps small, transformation.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Not for critical listening but enjoying music in the living room.
Isn't enjoying music in the listening living room heresy? Aren't we asked to listen critically?

WIthout sarcasm, no, I wasn't after enhancing the stereo panorama. To the contrary, with my purposal I arrived at a decidedly unaltered stereo panorama. Only that the quite warm, times even dull reverberation of my huge cinema speakers got a nice polish.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
WIthout sarcasm, no, I wasn't after enhancing the stereo panorama. To the contrary, with my purposal I arrived at a decidedly unaltered stereo panorama. Only that the quite warm, times even dull reverberation of my huge cinema speakers got a nice polish.
How did you realise it? As your use case is home cinema - you used your rears? With a receiver program or smething you did yourself?

Giving at least 10ms more delay at listening spot would be a good start. You could also alter the frequency response to fill what's missing.

fineMen

Major Contributor
How did you realise it? As your use case is home cinema - ...
Ups, no, I dismiss home cinema alltogether, because I prefer to share my excitement with a wider audience.
I was talking about the conventional stereo.

This relates to the desire for wide disperion speakers, that came up here. I suggested to replace the wide dispersion of the main speaker with an additional speaker (or a few) that take the task of filling the room. This is theoretically possible because of the precedence effect if the additional speaker gets a (digital) delay. De-correlated phase response of the additional speaker supports the effect. I tried, it works as far as it maintains the purity (sic!) of the stereo. Disclaimer: don't try this at home!

Last edited:

Bindou

Hi,
I have the impression that the most technically advanced speaker remains the Dvialet Phantom? (Coaxial/phase, suppression of edge effects, very long travel, isobaric = vibration cancellation, high efficiency internal amplifier, etc.). What do you think ? I am still impressed by listening to these small speakers, and the bass level they achieve.

However Purifi seems on track to be a very serious competitor.

Hi,
I have the impression that the most technically advanced speaker remains the Dvialet Phantom? (Coaxial/phase, suppression of edge effects, very long travel, isobaric = vibration cancellation, high efficiency internal amplifier, etc.). What do you think ? I am still impressed by listening to these small speakers, and the bass level they achieve.

They are not the most technically advanced. Not at all.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hi,

devialet2.jpg

Is not a coaxial, i don't know why they don't use coaxial, that will improve a lot the performance

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the reference is to the thing that was like a sheet of plastic driven in the middle.

Linaeum?

I think Dennis measured one at some point when they had a line sold through Radio Shack. I don’t remember being very impressed.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Linaeum?

I think Dennis measured one at some point when they had a line sold through Radio Shack. I don’t remember being very impressed.
No--this was the uber expensive Manger full range driver. See pic below. It had a reasonably smooth response and could pass a square wave, but I never heard any advantage to that quality, and the highs were closed in. I also measured the Rat Shack Linaeum tweeter, which belonged in the "interesting" category. Nice relaxed and smooth sound, but with a weird radiation pattern.
Manger
MSW_2_72dpi_423x617.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No--this was the uber expensive Manger full range driver. See pic below. It had a reasonably smooth response and could pass a square wave, but I never heard any advantage to that quality, and the highs were closed in. I also measured the Rat Shack Linaeum tweeter, which belonged in the "interesting" category. Nice relaxed and smooth sound, but with a weird radiation pattern.
Manger
MSW_2_72dpi_423x617.jpg

I’m familiar with the MSW, and agree that it sounds closed in (and is dynamically challenged). I guess in the end Lineaum is more “strip of plastic” than “sheet of plastic” - though some (Aurasound versions) may have been silk or something cloth-y?

vermouth

It wonder what drivers the new Kii Sevens are going to use...? I would argue the Kii 3's are technically more impressive than the Devialet...

Krillin

Is the Purifi SPK16 something that can actually be built?

I see no DIY plans and no discussion over the tweeter availability. I'm finding DIY a harder and harder choice. Many popular DIY kits have measured horribly on the Klippel Near Field Scanner. And lowly speakers such as the Polk Elite Signature ES20 challenge any desire to build anything when it measures that well for so little money.

Therefore when I see something that measures this well I'm frustrated that it cannot be built. Granted, the drivers are not cheap but at least it's something worth building.

Penelinfi

Is the Purifi SPK16 something that can actually be built?

I see no DIY plans and no discussion over the tweeter availability. I'm finding DIY a harder and harder choice. Many popular DIY kits have measured horribly on the Klippel Near Field Scanner. And lowly speakers such as the Polk Elite Signature ES20 challenge any desire to build anything when it measures that well for so little money.

Therefore when I see something that measures this well I'm frustrated that it cannot be built. Granted, the drivers are not cheap but at least it's something worth building.
I think the tweeter still hasn't been fully released. But was supposed to come out around this time?
The 10" woofer should be able to be purchased

Last edited:

vermouth

I got to hear the new Lyngdorf CUE-100 today, they were really great. At the Bristol show with full Lyngdorf streamer/amps. Kept me in my seat and wanting to hear more.

There was a perfection that I didn't hear in many other systems and a clarity (lack of distortion?) that was epic.

Amazing what the little 6.5" with a few passive radiators can put out, the RoomPerfect software helped tighten up the bass (they did an A/B).

£19k+ a pair. Hopefully I can build something with the woofers soon.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
£19k!
Makes the March Audio Sointuva appear positively cheap.
Keith

Top Bottom