• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Protecting, not conditioning

Chrise36

Major Contributor

Attachments

• 20220503_200451~2.jpg
    20220503_200451~2.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 37

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it sound as if I need more protection than 400 watts?
Impossible for me to say, since I only have the vaguest idea about what you hope to plug into it. But are you sure you want to bother when your electronics seem to handle power glitches reasonably well?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I forgot to mention i use a router ups for the dac it works 90% with the dac not glitching during power out sometimes it looses connection with the laptop and needs restart.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Impossible for me to say, since I only have the vaguest idea about what you hope to plug into it. But are you sure you want to bother when your electronics seem to handle power glitches reasonably well?
Thanks Jeff. I had thought to plug two subs, which is possibly 500 Watts max output. Two monoblocks , 340 watts total. Possibly because they are never on past a third with the amplifiers, and a quarter for the subs I wouldn't need 840 watts protections?
They did seem to handle the mini cuts okay. Do I assume that will be the case ongoing! :rolleyes:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Jeff. I had thought to plug two subs, which is possibly 500 Watts max output. Two monoblocks , 340 watts total. Possibly because they are never on past a third with the amplifiers, and a quarter for the subs I wouldn't need 840 watts protections?
They did seem to handle the mini cuts okay. Do I assume that will be the case ongoing! :rolleyes:
If you insist on a UPS, I'd advise measuring actual power consumption of those devices as you use them at your preferred listening levels.

Here is an example of a home watt meter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4R2PPLZ

I do not use a UPS for my own audio/video equipment, just for a cable modem, and in particular, a networked drive array.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
If you insist on a UPS, I'd advise measuring actual power consumption of those devices as you use them at your preferred listening levels.

Here is an example of a home watt meter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4R2PPLZ

I do not use a UPS for my own audio/video equipment, just for a cable modem, and in particular, a networked drive array.
Thank you for the link Jeff.
I won't be buying a UPS and very likely will either do nothing. Or some simple anti surge bar as a token guesture to ward off Armageddon!

Webninja

Forum Donor
I have UPS’s for all my systems, PC and audio. I have power outages a dozen times per year, and the UPS will keep everything running for about 3-5 min.

If the outage is longer I can shut down the systems properly (UPS will beep as the battery power starts to end). If shorter, then just stay on battery for those few minutes.

APC is my preferred brand, but Cyberpower is ok too. The wattage you need depends on how long you want to run on UPS battery.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Thanks for your input Webninja.
I am angling away from UPS on the basis of cost, against hopefully not too many cuts in the future. Risk assessment, is it called :oops:? I am such a dullard, that I have been thinking of simply buying 4, single socket, anti surge plugs from Amazon, for about sixty quid. Then plugging each sub, and each monoblock into them!
However, in that I do know an electrician sufficiently well to ask him, do fellow forum users have an idea of the possibility of having some sort of protection placed, where the mains enters the house, just before the junction box so to speak? AVR or anti surge, as opposed to UPS, or heaven for-fend, power conditioning!

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Thanks for your input Webninja.
I am angling away from UPS on the basis of cost, against hopefully not too many cuts in the future. Risk assessment, is it called :oops:? I am such a dullard, that I have been thinking of simply buying 4, single socket, anti surge plugs from Amazon, for about sixty quid. Then plugging each sub, and each monoblock into them!
However, in that I do know an electrician sufficiently well to ask him, do fellow forum users have an idea of the possibility of having some sort of protection placed, where the mains enters the house, just before the junction box so to speak? AVR or anti surge, as opposed to UPS, or heaven for-fend, power conditioning!
Is it legal in your country to modify the mains before the junction box?

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Is it legal in your country to modify the mains before the junction box?
Don't know, I'm assuming my leccy with do something under the stairs by our main fuse box.
So, not outside.

Top Bottom