• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prospective 8" affordable studio monitor buyer, need suggestions.

nsense

As of now, I have the JBL mkII 308p in mind, but would it be a worthy purchase? Or could I do better IN A SIMILAR PRICE RANGE?
Ideally, anywhere between 400-500USD for a pair is a feasible range for me.

PS: I'm new to this forum, apologies if I've posted under the wrong category.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Welcome. In that price range and IME, up to 5times it’s price, the 308 reign supreme. Biased opinions from a 308 happy owner. Kept in its comfort zone, under 90 dB at 1 meter full range without subs or a bit above that with the help of subs, which by the way, may end up costing you more, 95 dB at 2m once you relieve it from reproducing bass below 100 hz.; There isn’t any competition at its price point and Perhaps more than 4 times as much ...

OP
N

nsense

What sort of listening distance do you have in mind?
My studio is somewhere around 16ft×13ft in area, and my mix position will be around 5 feet from each speaker in an equilateral triangular shape, if that makes sense

Last edited:
OP
N

nsense

Hi

Welcome. In that price range and IME, up to 5times it’s price, the 308 reign supreme. Biased opinions from a 308 happy owner. Kept in its comfort zone, under 90 dB at 1 meter full range without subs or a bit above that with the help of subs, which by the way, may end up costing you more, 95 dB at 2m once you relieve it from reproducing bass below 100 hz.; There isn’t any competition at its price point and Perhaps more than 4 times as much ...
This really helps in strengthening my decision, thanks!

Top Bottom