• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prism Sound Lyra 1, do I actually need it?

tamtam

Hey folks,

I think I made an mistake by buying this interface, and this time I want to make an educated decision and replacing it with another interface.
When buying new monitors, I noticed that they are not "purely analog" as well as my old monitors.
So this is kind of defeat the purpose of having a "high-end" DA audio interface, when the DA is limited by the quality of the monitor's AD/DA.
The new set of monitors have a set of AES 3 inputs.
I thought of replacing it with another device that have AES 3 outputs, so the audio interface doesn't affect in any way the AD/DA monitor chain.
Also, having more analog inputs than on the Lyra 1 is a nice thing to have.

What do you think?
Any suggestions of a new interface for Mac?

Thanks

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I thought of replacing it with another device that have AES 3 outputs, so the audio interface doesn't affect in any way the AD/DA monitor chain.
This may be just in your head. There might be cost effective ways to find out since AES3 takes regular coax SPDIF too.

Can't argue with this one. If you need more, you need more.

OP
T

tamtam

This may be just in your head. There might be cost effective ways to find out since AES3 takes regular coax SPDIF too.
What I mean by that is this D to D conversions should be transparent and this eliminates the need for a high-end DA in the monitoring chain.
Basically, to my understanding any mediocre audio interface with Coax spdif / Aes 3 will do the exact same job.
Unless I'm missing something...

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
So you have something that you don't strictly need. However, does it hurt?

Only when it hurts, replacing it will solve something. Not talking about your need for more analog inputs.

OP
T

tamtam

So you have something that you don't strictly need. However, does it hurt?

Only when it hurts, replacing it will solve something.
That's right. It's a piece of an expensive gear that other people with pure analog monitoring can benefit from.
Thought of selling it and getting something more suitable for my needs.
At this point just verifying I'm not missing something about the AD/DA chain I'm describing.

HenryL

Hey folks,

I think I made an mistake by buying this interface, and this time I want to make an educated decision and replacing it with another interface.
When buying new monitors, I noticed that they are not "purely analog" as well as my old monitors.
So this is kind of defeat the purpose of having a "high-end" DA audio interface, when the DA is limited by the quality of the monitor's AD/DA.
The new set of monitors have a set of AES 3 inputs.

What do you think?
Any suggestions of a new interface for Mac?

Thanks
Seems like a reasonable question/topic! Maybe you have already answered it for yourself by now, but anyway:

If I interpret your description correctly then your new monitors (which ones by the way?) apply some digital processing regardless of whether the input is analogue or digital.

If that's the case (and I expect it is) then the answer to the core of your question is that the Lyra 1 is not adding any value to your monitoring fidelity. You could use a cheaper interface with a suitable digital output (AES3).

Whether or not your Lyra 1 is just an expensive ornament however obviously depends on your usage priorities . If you didn't choose it for the quality of its preamps and ADC and other recording features but primarily for listening/monitoring then I'd suggest you convert the Lyra back into money and use it for something more useful!

Edit: I am assuming you are delighted with your monitors and don't wish to change them :) I'm a little out of touch with the current range/prices of interfaces available but anyway which one to recommend would depend on the above 'usage proirities' question. FWIW I've found Focusrite interfaces to work well with Mac.

Cheers/ Henry

Last edited:
OP
T

tamtam

@HenryL I switched from Dynaudio BM5 mk3 to PMC 6 (signal flow attached). Both have digital processing inside, so no extra benefit for either.
However, I'm using phones and the line input for a synthesizer. The preamp in Lyra is a big one, but here again, not utilizing it.
For now, I decided to keep the Lyra due to the hassle of the sell/buy process, at this point switching interface will not provide any advantage.

Attachments

• signal-flow.png
    signal-flow.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 56

HenryL

at this point switching interface will not provide any advantage.
Probably no sonic advantage, just financial. If your budget has included PMC6-2's then perhaps the replacement of the Lyra is nearer the financial noise margins for you.

I'm still in love with, and relying on, my PMC TB2SA's which I've been using for nearly 20 years now. I don't really want to invite the temptation presented by the 6-2's as I'm happily married :)

Enjoy...

Top Bottom