• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Presonus Eris E3.5 Mod: Mineral Wool Lining

jeb.jr

I replaced the interior lining material with R13 mineral wool. The original thickness of the insulation, 4 in (10 cm) thick, was too thick, so I cut the thickness of the insulation down to about 2 in (5 cm), and then mashed it down until it was roughly 1 in (2.5 cm) thick.

The result: Notable bass improvement. The speakers sound like they are hitting lower frequencies, with less resonance and more punch. I didn't even stuff the ports (I'm a little worried about overheating). I wonder what a real controlled test would show. Would there be a flatter frequency response?

OP
jeb.jr

jeb.jr

Pictures...

Attachments

• e3.5left.jpg
    e3.5left.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 84
  • e3.5right.jpg
    e3.5right.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 77

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

I've no idea what effect changing the lining material or thickness would have, i'll let other, more knowledgeable folks chime in. It would have been fun to acquire a measurement mic and compare before and after. There's any easy to follow guide to measuring with a UMIK-1 and REW here:

Top Bottom