• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

preamp

PierreCao

question, i really want to try out the SMSL DAC after reading those rave reviews but i don't have a preamp. My current set up is pureaudio (dac+preamp) / BAT VK 55 / Sonus faber liuto. Do i need to buy a preamp in order to try out the SMSL DAC?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Generally you don't need a preamp with a DAC unless you want to use it for volume & tone control and or as an input selector and control center" for your system.

i really want to try out the SMSL DAC after reading those rave reviews
When it comes to "sound quality" most DACs are better than human hearing, including the DAC built into your cell phone or CD player, etc. (I did have a noisy soundcard once.)

...Most electronics are better than human hearing unless you're hearing noise (hum, hiss or whine in the background) or unless you overdrive an amplifier into clipping or something like that.

OP
P

PierreCao

Generally you don't need a preamp with a DAC unless you want to use it for volume & tone control and or as an input selector and control center" for your system.

When it comes to "sound quality" most DACs are better than human hearing, including the DAC built into your cell phone or CD player, etc. (I did have a noisy soundcard once.)

...Most electronics are better than human hearing unless you're hearing noise (hum, hiss or whine in the background) or unless you overdrive an amplifier into clipping or something like that.
the bat amp i have has no volume control. the SMSL dac can control volume right?

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
question, i really want to try out the SMSL DAC after reading those rave reviews but i don't have a preamp. My current set up is pureaudio (dac+preamp) / BAT VK 55 / Sonus faber liuto. Do i need to buy a preamp in order to try out the SMSL DAC?
I'm going to assume that you mean the SU - 6 and no, you don't need a preamp. Run the source into the DAC and run the DAC into the amp and you should be good. I can't speak to the others, but the su - 6 does have a VC.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The VK-55 was measured to have 22.1 dB of voltage gain when using the 4-6 ohm tap (which would be the right one to use with these 4 ohm speakers) and is good for 40 W and change by hi-fi standards (1% THD).
Even when assuming the 64 W into 4 ohms at the knee, that still only requires about 1.25 V of input voltage... basically any desktop DAC with balanced output is good for 4 Vrms. As long as a useful built-in volume control function is provided, no extra preamp will be needed.

I imagine the biggest perceptible difference is going to be in the OP's wallet... Pure Audio gear doesn't seem to be cheap, e.g. the Lotus DAC5 SE DAC-pre costs >3000€.
not sure yet, i see them all have pretty good review. any recommendation?
As long as the unit has a volume knob and balanced output, you can pretty much go by other required features (including inputs) and looks and size, along with how much you'd like to spend. Performance should be (more than) good enough in any of them.

OP
P

PierreCao

The VK-55 was measured to have 22.1 dB of voltage gain when using the 4-6 ohm tap (which would be the right one to use with these 4 ohm speakers) and is good for 40 W and change by hi-fi standards (1% THD).
Even when assuming the 64 W into 4 ohms at the knee, that still only requires about 1.25 V of input voltage... basically any desktop DAC with balanced output is good for 4 Vrms. As long as a useful built-in volume control function is provided, no extra preamp will be needed.

I imagine the biggest perceptible difference is going to be in the OP's wallet... Pure Audio gear doesn't seem to be cheap, e.g. the Lotus DAC5 SE DAC-pre costs >3000€.

As long as the unit has a volume knob and balanced output, you can pretty much go by other required features (including inputs) and looks and size, along with how much you'd like to spend. Performance should be (more than) good enough in any of them.
wow, very detailed answer.. Thanks!
my sonus faber back plated stated 8 Ohm.. and frankly, i don't know how to connect or change from 8 to 4 ohms. The BAT amp does show both 4 and 8 Ohm output.
I'm located in the US. I got my Pureaudio few years ago before current crazy inflation. I was 1600 USD i think.

i always thought a good DAC will cost a small fortune.. and was so surprised to see affordable DAC performing so well based on Amir's tests.

egellings

Major Contributor
If the DAC has a volume control function, then it can be plugged right into a power amp. Without the volume control, you'd get blasted out. Most, if not all power amps don't have volume controls.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Without the volume control, you'd get blasted out.
You will, but u can always use the VC on your source, i.e. computer/phone in a pinch. It's always a good idea to have a stand alone VC.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
my sonus faber back plated stated 8 Ohm.. and frankly, i don't know how to connect or change from 8 to 4 ohms. The BAT amp does show both 4 and 8 Ohm output.
I looked them up, and actual measured impedance seemed to be firmly in 4 ohm territory (like 4.2 average and 4 min or something?), so the 4 ohm tap on the BAT would be the one to use. Loudspeaker impedance specs often have to be taken with a medium-sized salt shaker, unfortunately.

Top Bottom