• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power needed from for RCA inputs

MrNice13

Hey
I maybe already ask the question in another way but I need some more info.

I use my old Nad3020e with some speakers at my girlfriend house to watch TV while doing something's at the house. I use Tv optical>> Smsl 793ii RCA >> Nad3020e aux/cd input and it's working well for movies.

But now... As I don't have any digital sources for my music other than my phones and being an headphone guy I can live with qobuz,uapp and all that.

But if I want to power my speakers for bit perfect audio from the NAD and my speakers.. can I use some dongles or portable amp to feed the NAD by the RCA inputs from a phone.

How the NAD handle the dongle output power and the RCA input power? How the sound going to be.. Is there going to have problems? I don't know the power needed for the aux or cd input. Typically a cd player output 2Vrms from the RCA or I'm wrong? How to match?

Thanks guys

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You don't have to worry about 'bit perfect' with an old 3020e.

Just plug the headphone/dongle output of your phone into one of the line inputs on the 3020e. Turn up the volume to the normal position you use with the TV and then wind up the phone volume to match that. Easy.

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

You don't have to worry about 'bit perfect' with an old 3020e.

Just plug the headphone/dongle output of your phone into one of the line inputs on the 3020e. Turn up the volume to the normal position you use with the TV and then wind up the phone volume to match that. Easy.
For the tv it's ok because I use the optical out of the TV to the dac to the nad and I control the volume on the NAD.

But what if I want to listen some music via my phone and plug it in the nad RCA input for speakers listening not headphone. It's ok to plug the dac/dongle to the RCA?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

But the question is... IF an apple or Samsung dongle/dac or whatever non desktop DAC can be plugged in the NAD inputs to power the speakers efficiently via the dongke aux to the rca/aux splitter.

oleg87

Power requirements for line inputs are negligible (on the order of tens of microwatts). Anything designed to drive headphones will not be troubled by it.
Main thing to worry about is the possibility of clipping the amp's input, but I imagine the typical 1Vrms output dongle won't be capable of that.

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

Personally I'd just get a bluetooth reciever such as this one (which I am currently using to send bluetooth to avoid long wires for my turntable) :eek::

Plug it into the amp RCA input, then send bluetooth from the phone.
Personally I'd just get a bluetooth reciever such as this one (which I am currently using to send bluetooth to avoid long wires for my turntable) :eek::

Plug it into the amp RCA input, then send bluetooth from the phone.
Ok didn't know that thing exist. But if you send the music to the receiver by Bluetooth it's not so so loseless..

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

Power requirements for line inputs are negligible (on the order of a tens of microwatts). Anything designed to drive headphones will not be troubled by it.
Main thing to worry about is the possibility of clipping the amp's input, but I imagine the typical 1Vrms output dongle won't be capable of that.
So I can play my music from my phone in Hi RES to my speakers lovely. I was not sure if a dongle or small dac would be ok for powering the nad amplifier :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok didn't know that thing exist. But if you send the music to the receiver by Bluetooth it's not so so loseless..
No, not lossless, But if the better codecs are used, I'd bet you can't tell the difference. And even some of the poorer codecs will be as good as the amp in any case.

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

No, not lossless, But if the better codecs are used, I'd bet you can't tell the difference. And even some of the poorer codecs will be as good as the amp in any case.

True.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

How about plugging a Google Chromecast into a spare TV HDMI input, than you can cast to the Chromecast/TV, and keep the same optical connection out of the TV you already have.

Just throwing out another option...

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

How about plugging a Google Chromecast into a spare TV HDMI input, than you can cast to the Chromecast/TV, and keep the same optical connection out of the TV you already have.

Just throwing out another option...
Could be an idea but I need the optical port for the DAC to the Smsl.

Zek

Major Contributor
But the question is... IF an apple or Samsung dongle/dac or whatever non desktop DAC can be plugged in the NAD inputs to power the speakers efficiently via the dongke aux to the rca/aux splitter.
Yes, you can connect the phone with a 3.5mm TRS connector to the dongle and 2x RCA to the amplifier.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes. Not a problem :)
Don't plug it in with phone and amp both turned up to full volume, but that's just sensible

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

Yes. Not a problem :)
Don't plug it in with phone and amp both turned up to full volume, but that's just sensible
I let the source (phone or DAP) maybe at 85-90 and after I play with the NAD knob.

Top Bottom