• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable DAC amplifier in home system ? Cayin RU6

brjoon1021

Hello,

Is there a way to send a signal from a wifi streamer such as a wiim (not having USB out, but only the two digital opitons) to a DAC that ONLY has USB input without doing damage to the signal ?

I could get a ifi Zen stream which seems to be a good bang-for-the buck USB output streamer, but I would like to avoid that expense as I already have 2 streamers (they have digital coax and digital fiber cable outputs but not USB).

Thanks in advance for the well-wishing, good intensions like... there are better DACs, why not get... ? I appreciate it. Let's just say that I am irrationally connected to this DAC and want to see if it can be done.

I imagine there are some smart and informed folks on here. If you can help. Thanks in advance !!!!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Sure, it's possible. It's just "digital data". But a USB host requires a processor and operating system that can run the drivers, so have you found a "converter"?

OP
B

brjoon1021

Sure, it's possible. It's just "digital data". But a USB host requires a processor and operating system that can run the drivers, so have you found a "converter"?
HI,

I am hoping to do this without a computer.

I have in mind: Streamer (wiim hopefully) > Cayin RU6 > my gloriously euphonic, inaccurate tube pre-amp > etc... > Me.

the hiccup in that chain is how to get from the wiim to the Cayin. I saw several cheesy looking converters at first glance at obscure sites and a few strange looking boxes / converters. I was hoping that there was a more straightforward way ?

well... if you guys were wanting to do this, what would you do ? Or, what would Amir do ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
For this to work, you'd need a USB host device between the WiiM and your RU6, so for example:

WiiM->Toslink out->Hifime UR23->RPi4->RU6

Top Bottom