• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Speakers closer to which wall(s)?

Which wall(s) are your speakers closest to?

• My speakers are closest to the "front" wall; that is, the wall behind the speakers.

Votes: 69 80.2%
  • My speakers are closest to at least one of the side walls.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • About the same.

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Something else (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are your speakers positioned closer to the "front" wall (the wall behind them), or closer to either one or both of the side walls? Or something else?

Also, you are all invited to post the actual distances.

My speakers are up against the long wall of a room that is more that twice as wide as it is deep. The left speaker is 7 feet from its side wall, and the right speaker is 12 feet from its side wall.

Last edited:

SteveC

Closer to the side walls, but not by a lot. It's a rectangular, completely rectangular room, with the speakers facing the long way down the room.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Mine are very close to the front wall (2x port diameter) because that pushes the SBIR frequency range up high enough to be aided by 5" thick broadband absorbers behind them. The side walls are 26" away. I get more lower mids this way, but sacrifice soundstage depth as a trade-off. Also, my room is small, so I can't have them 24"+ from the front wall, making the room functionally smaller.

Last edited:

Tassin

Next poll about actual distances?

OP
Duke

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Next poll about actual distances?

I edited the opening post to invite people to post their actual distances. THANKS!!

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My front tower speakers are close to the wall.
That is why the BR vent is located at the front of the speaker, facing the sofa.
SQ is good without any subwoofer.

Berlin

The front (center) of my speakers is approx. 140 cm (55 in) from the front wall and 130 cm (51 in) from the side walls...

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Setup #1: ~15cm from front wall. Left speaker around 40cm from side wall, the Right speaker 150cm from side wall.

Setup #2: ~15cm from front wall, and this front wall don't have side walls, it opens up on both sides, so there are several meters to the nearest "side wall" in adjacent rooms.

Setup #3: ~30-40cm from front wall, and both speakers are equally distant (~50cm) from side walls.

Flaesh

As an experiment, I placed sperakers near the side walls\relatively far from front wall for a short time; something like semi-beveridge. This adds spaciousness, but is overall less convenient for me. I almost don't care where and where )) the Chesky Samba Band goes; but I highly appreciate every increase in articulation and melodisity in ⍢χ͔Ω ΣằğΩþ χ͔åᵲằǻϻ e. g.
I can't vote a second time for the #2 item :cool:.

ps: Also I had in-wall (absolutely #1) speakers in front wall 10+\- years ago.

pps: In a past life I had different setups according item #3; nothing special\interesting.

Last edited:

boxerfan88

0.6m to front wall.
0.9m to side wall.

OP
Duke

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As an experiment, I placed sperakers near the side walls\relatively far from front wall for a short time; something like semi-beveridge. This adds spaciousness, but is overall less convenient for me.

[hijacking my own thread] Harold Beveridge's former assistant, Sean McCaughan of ESP Speakers, designed an imo magnificent cone-n-dome adaptation of the Beveridge concept:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very close to the back wall and one of the sidewalls. Basically shoved in a corner. :(

OP
Duke

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
[still more thread hijack] @Kal Rubinson , I see you "liked" my post #12 above about Sean McCaughan's speakers. Did you hear them? If so I would be very interested in your impressions, as when it comes to high-end speakers you're a subject matter expert.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Speakers are about a foot from the wall behind them and 4 or so feet from the sides. Room is about 18 feet high and somewhere around that wide.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I’m speccing “something else:”
The back of my speakers with MLTL terminus/port exiting top back is about 12” from the front wall. The on-center measurement of the baffle is about 3’ from the front wall and side walls on both sides. (Speakers are slightly toed in, and slightly asymmetrical in the room.)
Yes, my Speaker cabinets are 2’ deep (front to back).

Edit: FWIW, I would prefer to have more space from back-of-speaker (rear port, or in this case TL Terminus) to front wall than I do. 18" is my preferred minimum distance there. Room size and Speaker shape demand a compromise.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
[still more thread hijack] @Kal Rubinson , I see you "liked" my post #12 above about Sean McCaughan's speakers. Did you hear them? If so I would be very interested in your impressions, as when it comes to high-end speakers you're a subject matter expert.
I greatly anticipated them from my experiences with his earlier speakers and desperately wanted these. They were out of my reach then. I cannot recall specifics but remember they had a huge but highly detailed soundstage.

OP
Duke

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I greatly anticipated them from my experiences with his earlier speakers and desperately wanted these. They were out of my reach then. I cannot recall specifics but remember they had a huge but highly detailed soundstage. [emphasis Duke's]
Wow. This is the most intriguing post I've read all year.

Yes they did have a huge, magnificent, immersive, AND highly detailed soundstage. It was like music was simply materializing in the air in this modest and untreated hotel room whose walls seemed to disappear when I closed my eyes. And when I opened them again, there just so happened to be a triangular-shaped box up against each side wall. Harold Beveridge would have been proud.

I would have loved to become a dealer for them, to complement my SoundLabs. Alas, they were outside of my reach too.

Of course I thought about using the same basic configuration in one of my own designs, and eventually tried to track down Sean to ask his permission. Maybe getting his permission wasn't really necessary, but it seemed like the right thing to do. I found an e-mail address online but never heard back, and by then ESP no longer had an online presence as far as I could tell.

Having read your post here, I am renewing my search for Sean. Evidently his "Double Bass" speakers were not a commercial success, but I'd like to give his basic concept another chance to find its niche.

StigErik

Forum Donor
My front L / R speakers are about 2 meters from the front wall, and as close to each side wall as possible without touching it. With proper toe-in this setup effectively eliminates the first reflection off the nearest wall. The center channel is of course in the center of the room, and 1 meter from the front wall. The surrounds are very close to each side wall as well.

OP
Duke

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My front L / R speakers are about 2 meters from the front wall, and as close to each side wall as possible without touching it. With proper toe-in this setup effectively eliminates the first reflection off the nearest wall.

When I had my speakers on the short wall of my long-and-skinny room, that's what I did too. I design for and use such toe-in routinely.

Top Bottom