• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll & discussion: UFOs / UAPs / Other Intelligent Life in Universe

Do you believe there are alien spacecraft that have visited earth’s atmosphere?

• Yes.

• No, and I don’t believe there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

• No, but I do believe there is other intelligent life in the Universe.

• I think there is too much scientific uncertainly to be confident in any opinion on this.

• I am a space alien.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Honken

I hate to say this, but it has become evident, @Wes, you're not worthy of this masterpiece. View attachment 136369
If anyone in the nordics could give me directions to a decent deep dish joint, please let me know. I'm craving something other than pineapple- and curry pizza.

UFOs as in aliens most likely exist somewhere in the universe, but is not very likely that they've ever visited this boring rock. I find it even more doubtful that any organisms dabble in interstellar travel in the Star Trek and Star Wars sense. Space is vast.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it's not that the Chicago Deep Dish thing tastes bad - but it is NOT pizza

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone in the nordics could give me directions to a decent deep dish joint, please let me know. I'm craving something other than pineapple- and curry pizza.
I don't blame you! When I lived in Europe (three different countries) I learned if I wanted a decent Chicago-style deep dish pizza I would have to make it myself. So you are welcome any time to come to Chicago where, in fact, I still make the very best one. And I would be happy to make one for you and any denizen of ASR. (As long as you Like my posts, of course ;))

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not YOUR pizza. But too bad for you. ;) It is based, in fact, on a special Genovese pizza pie made specifically for Easter. Did you ever wonder why there is a term, "pizza pie", as in, "when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore" ? So, now you've learned something. It's more authentic than a lot of other "pizzas". https://www.savoringitaly.com/italian-easter-meat-pie-pizza-gaina/

Honken

What makes a pizza a pizza? I am fairly sure that a lot of italians are pained by discussions around "regular" pizzas, no need to even mention the pineapple based toppings.
I don't blame you! When I lived in Europe (three different countries) I learned if I wanted a decent Chicago-style deep dish pizza I would have to make it myself. So you are welcome any time to come to Chicago where, in fact, I still make the very best one. And I would be happy to make one for you and any denizen of ASR. (As long as you Like my posts, of course ;))
Preparations complete, just gotta wait for this global pandemic to blow over. Really though, visiting the US is on my bucket list - there's so much to see and experience.

... Unlike most of the barren rocks in the universe. There's this game called Elite: Dangerous. One of its strengths is that it highlights how boring 99.99% of the universe is. It's really hard to grasp how vast the boredom is.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An alien response to seeing human behavior:

Face plant... Or tentacle head-wrap. :)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What makes a pizza a pizza? I am fairly sure that a lot of italians are pained by discussions around "regular" pizzas, no need to even mention the pineapple based toppings.
Believe it or not, I actually had to document this question for a legal issue. Long story. Suffice to say, the distinction between flatbread and "pizza" originally required a baked wheat base to be topped with both cheese and tomato (fresh or sauce). It was thought the first documented pizza was the famous Pizza Margherita di Napoli of 1889, but turns out it is a hundred years older than that.

Since then, the term has stretched to include the baked wheat base + cheese + some other sauce (such as an alfredo sauce). But a baked cracker with cheese is not pizza and bread topped with sauce is not pizza.

Honken

There is an Italian institute that defines pizza. Pretty sure it's in Napoli.

That trumps some guy's web site medium
These guys? They seem fairly liberal, I mean, pineapple isn't from the Campania region, but it doesn't have to be right?
Believe it or not, I actually had to document this question for a legal issue. Long story. Suffice to say, the distinction between flatbread and "pizza" originally required a baked wheat base to be topped with both cheese and tomato (fresh or sauce). It was thought the first documented pizza was the famous Pizza Margherita di Napoli of 1889, but turns out it is a hundred years older than that.

Since then, the term has stretched to include the baked wheat base + cheese + some other sauce (such as an alfredo sauce). But a baked cracker with cheese is not pizza and bread topped with sauce is not pizza.
Wow, I applaud your determination. So, in this legal case would something like a microwave pan pizza be considered a pizza?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These guys? They seem fairly liberal, I mean, pineapple isn't from the Campania region, but it doesn't have to be right?
Wow, I applaud your determination. So, in this legal case would something like a microwave pan pizza be considered a pizza?
I'm afraid so.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And people wonder why if they (aliens) are out there why they are not making themselves known. Just another fine example, a UFO thread has become a discussion about Pizza.
Now you know what is at the center of every black hole: A stuffed Chicago pizza!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And people wonder why if they (aliens) are out there why they are not making themselves known. Just another fine example, a UFO thread has become a discussion about Pizza.

shape similarity of ships

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the "Dark Forest Principle" popularized by Chinese science fiction author Liu Cixin in a novel of the same name? The idea here is that other civilizations exist and they are listening, but they don't wish to be detected for reasons of self-preservation. And if they did detect us, they wouldn't be bringing pizza.

But my own hunch is that even if the universe has been seeded with the stuff of life and it flourishes on countless planets, technological, space-faring civilizations may be exceedingly rare: Earth itself has experienced repeated mass-extinction events, and we're currently in the midst of the 6th that we know of.

Top Bottom