• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk's New Flagship, Legend Series Speaker: Reintroduces upgraded SDA Technology

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've found that interaural crosstalk cancellation presents sound sources in the mix as emanating at discrete points in a 3d sound-field. This is generally less fatiguing than without IACC where the sources emanate from a plane defined by the speakers' positions. There are some tracks where it sounds weird - these are usually modern pop tracks and the weirdness comes from hearing sounds below or above, to the side or behind the listening position. Even with the weirdness, it's still less fatiguing.

With stuff recorded in the studio, playback sounds like I'm listening in the studio. With stuff recorded in concert halls, it sounds like a large room. The technology seems to reduce the acoustic effects of the listening room and replaces it with the acoustic effect of the recording venue.

However, it's very true that this tech is rendering the music in a way that the producer does not hear, so it isn't 'accurate'. Still is my personal preference for most music I listen to though.
so you have a pair of these? Have you used them with Movies? What's the impact there? I am considering moving from Paradigm 75F's. In a 7.6.4 system. I am hoping that a center and surrounds don't ruin the effect. Then if the effect isn't there, I'd still like them to sound solid.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would think that the "SDA" of the L800 would work at cross-purposes with a center channel -- but I have no empirical data; it's just a SWAG on my part.
You might want to ask over at the Polk forums -- although the forum s/w was just updated, and things are in a bit of disarray over there. E.g., if you're not a member, it might be a bit difficult to register right now :( That said, you can still do a search over there and see if there's any info. I don't recall seeing any discussion, though (FWIW).

The other thing you might want to consider, @tjcinnamon: there's a "private" (non-Polk sponsored) forum run and populated by once-and-future Polk fanboys where it also might be worth asking your question: https://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

ALSO :) Polk has a brand new line of loudspeakers, the "Reserve Series" that has no SDA model, but some nice looking and very reasonably priced models including large main loudspeakers and a couple of different center channel options.
I was able to get on the Polk site which is good. I'll check out that other site. I am looking to potentially replace my Paradigm 75F's with something more wild.

onion

so you have a pair of these? Have you used them with Movies? What's the impact there? I am considering moving from Paradigm 75F's. In a 7.6.4 system. I am hoping that a center and surrounds don't ruin the effect. Then if the effect isn't there, I'd still like them to sound solid.
Sorry - I don't have the Polks. I have a software solution for IACC with head-tracking (BACCH4Mac). I think it works similarly to Polk.

Top Bottom